Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2006, 01:24 PM

Default HSP and CPS looks the same to newbie

I watched High Stakes Poker last night. I could not believe I saw at least two family pots. So much action.

If I were a complete newbie to poker (didn't know anything at all) and I watched that episode and then watched an episode of Celebrity Poker Showdown? I would not be able to notice the difference in player quality.

And what's with Gabe? Although rarely he is wrong, he tells us what the next play is going to be. I persoanlly would rather make my own guess/determination and see it play out. Not a 'spoiler' commentary by Gabe. No offense against Gabe. I love the guy.

RazzO
Old 06-20-2006, 01:32 PM

Default Re: HSP and CPS looks the same to newbie

[ QUOTE ]
I watched High Stakes Poker last night. I could not believe I saw at least two family pots. So much action.

If I were a complete newbie to poker (didn't know anything at all) and I watched that episode and then watched an episode of Celebrity Poker Showdown? I would not be able to notice the difference in player quality.

And what's with Gabe? Although rarely he is wrong, he tells us what the next play is going to be. I persoanlly would rather make my own guess/determination and see it play out. Not a 'spoiler' commentary by Gabe. No offense against Gabe. I love the guy.

RazzO

[/ QUOTE ]

If only there was a forum where we could talk about poker on TV...
Old 06-20-2006, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never seen anyone on HSP call a flop push with J7o on board of AT5 because "I think he's bluffing".
Old 06-20-2006, 02:04 PM

Dids wrote: This thread has been moved

Thanks, Dids. I did look for a forum at left but just saw MTT and WPT, etc. Do you know when a link will be provided to this section "Televised" under TOURNAMENT POKER?

RazzO

[ QUOTE ]

RazzO

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-20-2006, 02:19 PM

It's called postflop, and they all think they're better at it than everybody else at the table.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:43 PM

Deep stacks makes for loose pf play, maybe?
Old 06-20-2006, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Deep stacks makes for loose pf play, maybe?

[/ QUOTE ]

Or, and with respects to them, (I would also want it, but not play that loosely) going for The Mouth's one eyed GF time.

You do know who Mike's GF is (according to Gabe)?

RazzO
Old 06-20-2006, 07:06 PM

These guys play so well after the flop that they can play certain hands like A7o. I've seen a few threads where people say they could beat this game cause of the "bad play" and it makes me laugh. Obviously you can't be perfect all the time, but for the most part the postflop reads these guys make are incredible.

That being said I do think its interesting that the starting hand selections seem to revert back to "amateur" level when you play this high (any ace, any 2 suited cards)
Don't have much experience with High (or mid for that matter) Stakes games, is this common? (and yes, I know you have to "mix up" your game)
Old 06-20-2006, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
These guys play so well after the flop that they can play certain hands like A7o.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or so they think, anyway. I'm sure some of them are playing too many hands.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If only there was a forum where we could talk about poker on TV...

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that when I didn't really see a proper forum for a TV tournament question (or HSP type format) I thought that my post would be considered, and fall under the category, of a "View".

2p2 now has a forum for TV poker. Woohooo! It may be a HOT TOPIC section, IMO.

RazzO