Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2006, 05:54 PM

Default Re: Bankroll and Moving up

I always thought it was 500 bigbets or 10 buy ins to be properly rolled.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, I disagree with people who suggest playing a few tables at your regular level and one at the higher level. Mixing levels like that can be really confusing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing multiple levels totally screws me up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree with this. Used to do this when playing limit, where all you have to decide is to decide F/C/R. But playing 5 tables of different levels of NL, can lead to bad bets in the heat of action. Raising it to $2.5 at $50 NL might be good, but at $100 it doesn't really cut it... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

BTW, very nice post OP.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:47 PM

all,

there's been quite a few really good threads around here of late (of which this is most certainly one), and I for 1 am not happy about it. Are you trying to make the fish play better??? I was pretty sure the point of this forum was to give out bad advice so that you could dominate the tables more easily, and now good posts are springing up all over the place. This a trend that HAS to stop. Thanks
Old 05-22-2006, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
all,

there's been quite a few really good threads around here of late (of which this is most certainly one), and I for 1 am not happy about it. Are you trying to make the fish play better??? I was pretty sure the point of this forum was to give out bad advice so that you could dominate the tables more easily, and now good posts are springing up all over the place. This a trend that HAS to stop. Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

You can take a horse to water...

Don't be so paranoid you dolt.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can take a horse to water...

Don't be so paranoid you dolt.

[/ QUOTE ]

who has a horse in this day and age?

And if I did, why would I take it to water?

And what has this got to do with SSNL? I play texas, not HORSE
Old 05-22-2006, 07:28 PM

I read the first few posts...

At what point you move up is largely dependent on how good you are, not your BR. If you take a solid 5/10 player, he doesn't need 20 buy-ins to play NL 50 from NL 25--it would be a freak of nature for him to drop 10 buy-ins before having grown his roll significantly.

I started NL cash games in February of this year, and my rule was 20 buy ins for each level because that's what people recommended. I started at NL 50, and only played about 1200 hands b/c I had a good BR dedicated to NL to start. NL 100 is where I did a lot of learning, and when I had 20 buy-ins for NL 200, I moved up. For NL 400, I actually waited a little longer than 20 buy-ins because the money intimidated me a bit. I believe I had 30-35 buy-ins. And then for NL 600, I had over 40 buy-ins because I didn't want to ever risk going below NL 400. But through all of this, the biggest swing I ever had was under 8 buy-ins, and that swing was when I already had won a lot at that level, so it wasn't like I lost 8 of the 20 buy ins, it was more like 8 off of 32. So the 20 buy-in rule is definitely safe for the lower levels assuming that you are a good, winning player; it's perhaps even conservative.

If I had to do it again, I would be willing to play NL 25 with 8 BI's, NL 50 with 10 or so, NL 100 with 12-15, 15 for NL 200, 20 for NL 400, and 25-30 for NL 600. For 5/10, I'd want 20 for 5/10 + 30 for 3/6.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jane, you ignorant [censored]! Isura was subtly hinting that the HORSE games are the juiciest of them all. Just be glad I'm telling you this in a PM instead of broadcasting it all over SSNL.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jane, you ignorant [censored]! Isura was subtly hinting that the HORSE games are the juiciest of them all. Just be glad I'm telling you this in a PM instead of broadcasting it all over SSNL.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to point out that AJ has once again made a great OP.

and also that the only truly juicy HORSE games are the ones I am sitting at - as not only can I not play 7stud to save my life - there are TWO rounds of the dam game and 1 of them is a hi/lo split.

If you ever see me at a HORSE game sit immediately on my right - just expect me to do really well in the Razz section...
Old 05-22-2006, 09:44 PM

AJ and Dust,

Great [censored] posts. Through your advice I played 200NL today and played good poker for the first time in a while (and actually ran ok too [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]).
Old 05-22-2006, 10:12 PM

I'm going to guess that for most people, bankroll isn't a huge issue when playing the lower limits of SSNL. Taking 20 buy-ins as a guide you only need $2k to play $100NL. I'll apologize in advance to anyone reading this in a 3rd world country, but I'd imagine most teenagers with a part-time job could come up with this.

However, the reason they should grind it out at through 25 and 50 is to learn the game and prove to themselves that they are winning players. I'd guess by the time they have done this they will have the 'necessary' BR for $100NL.

Bankroll becomes a more serious consideration at higher limits. A 20 buy-in downswing at $1000NL starts to amount to serious cash for most people and can easily happen to a winning player.