Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 03-26-2006, 08:21 PM

Default Staking a player in your game

A couple hours into my 10-20 session yesterday, a good player I've played with a lot stops by to say hi. We talk for a little bit and he tells me he's running really bad latley and was going to play 5-10.

I'm playing at the 10-20 feeder table which is very juicy, and the main game looks just as good. I look up and see that he is still waiting for his 5-10 table. I offer to take half his action if he want to play 10-20. He takes me up on it.

Inevitably, we spend a lot of the day at the same table both the main and feeder (a third table opens up later in the day. At this point we're both at the main table, so one of us changing tables would not be an option). Both of us play the same as we would without this agreement and we end up playing about the same amount of pots against each other as we would any other night.

Ethically, is their anything wrong with this? Should we have told other players at the table that I had half his action, but we weren't doing anything fishy?
Old 03-26-2006, 08:37 PM

Default Re: Staking a player in your game

[ QUOTE ]
A couple hours into my 10-20 session yesterday, a good player I've played with a lot stops by to say hi. We talk for a little bit and he tells me he's running really bad latley and was going to play 5-10.

I'm playing at the 10-20 feeder table which is very juicy, and the main game looks just as good. I look up and see that he is still waiting for his 5-10 table. I offer to take half his action if he want to play 10-20. He takes me up on it.

Inevitably, we spend a lot of the day at the same table both the main and feeder (a third table opens up later in the day. At this point we're both at the main table, so one of us changing tables would not be an option). Both of us play the same as we would without this agreement and we end up playing about the same amount of pots against each other as we would any other night.

Ethically, is their anything wrong with this? Should we have told other players at the table that I had half his action, but we weren't doing anything fishy?

[/ QUOTE ]

While I personally wont stake or take action on anyone inmy game. (Unless it's my mother in a nice little low limit 4-8 for fun). Others do. Recently in the "Big Game", Phil Ivey had just come in to join the game less than 5 minutes previous. I wasnt really paying attn to the conversations but suddenly I did here Doyle state "Phil you really should let us know ahead of time if you have a piece of "xxxx's" action. Obviously it was a player in the game. It didnt cause any sort of uproar or problems. It was just that they wanted to be aware of it.

Hope this answers your question.