Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-27-2007, 03:55 PM

Default Re: So I\'m going to Prison for 2 years

To show my support for jhog, I pledge to drive drunk every day until his release.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I got 3 DUI's in less than 2 years, 1 of them on a suspended license and I only spent a weekend in jail total.(not counting time in detox)

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you have representation? My general observation has been that, at least in my jurisdiction, the punishment for DUI is 4 to 5 times greater for individuals who do not get lawyers.

The problem I have with the 2.5 years is not the length of time so much as the relative length of time. This thread occurred to me yesterday when I was listening to the news and a women who assaulted a baby in her care (daycare worker) causing brain damage got 18 months of house arrest. One of my last criminal cases was a drug dealer. He sold crack, was the leader of a small gang, was found with a weapon and was also charged with assaulting a competing drug dealer. He got 3 years. When you factor in double time for time served pre-trial he ended up spending less time in jail than OP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dropped 10 grand on a lawyer. It didn't really help much though becasue in AZ there is a mandatory sentencing schedule for DUI offenses. So the only wa a lawyer can really help is trying to find discrepencies or mitigating circumstances in the case. Also AZ prisons don't offerf 2 for 1s in terms of days served. I will have to serve atleast 85% of my time.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Every single person that I have known IRL that has gotten a DUI has been in the second category. Therefore, if someone has a DUI, I am much more inclined to think they have a problem based on my theory.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would fall into the second category. I was pulled over AFTER I had safely pulled into a parking space at a Waffle House. When I had turned off the car the blue lights went on behind me after a cop had followed me into the parking lot. He ran through all his [censored] on my friends (all of which were noticeably drunk and under 21) and then came over to talk to me with the 2 extra officers he had called for no apparent reason other than intimidation. I passed all the field tests and he confirmed this to me right away and then again later in the police report. However, the second officer literally shoved a breathalyzer in my mouth while I was talking to the first officer and got a reading. I blew a .05, but was still booked for DUI since I was 19 at the time. The reason the officer cited for pulling me over was that he "thought" my tag was expired even though it wasn't which he also confirmed. In reality, I was pulled over for being a kid and being out at night.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the disgusting police state we are heading towards.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the greatest part about these threads is seeing the posters that people usually bend over backwards to suck their dicks, sit here and show their true colors for the complete idiots and waste of human live they really are irl.

op...i hope you spend a miserable 2 years in prison and that it convinces you not to drink and drive again.

if it doesn't...i hope you rott in hell.

buh-bye

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't you the guy who finally admitted in our previous DUI thread that the reason you feel so strongly is because you crashed your car when you were drunk off your azz???

Seems like you've become a self righteous self hater :-0
Old 11-28-2007, 04:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, if they say .08 is a crime, and I blow a .07 and still get put away, I'd be pissed, fwiw.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the BULLSHIAT part. All DUI's in CA have what's called and A and B charge.

Part A is the actual chemical reading which has to be over 0.07

Part B is the arresting officers OPINION... his OPINION.

In California, the DA is only required to prove ONE of the two charges for you to be penalized and found guilty.

Therefore, if the test says you're sober... but the officer "FEELS" you're drunk... you're charged.

If the officer feels your OK to go... you pass all the tests... BUT his partner shoves the breath test in your mouth and you blow over 0.07... you're charged.

It's like built in double jeopardy.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and for those of you saying 0.8 is a stupid arbitrary line - 0.8 is pretty drunk - it definitely affects your ability to drive. there have been many, many studies done on this (none of which i'm going to look up cuz i'm lazy).

if it was at 1.0 you'd be complaining about the same thing when you blow 1.1.

there's a very good reason why the legal limit is much lower in almost every other country. the line has to be set somewhere, and you guys who love to drive drunk are lucky it's as high as it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't... at 0.40 you pretty much go into an booze induced coma... so at 1.0 I'd be OK with saying you can't drive
Old 11-28-2007, 05:04 AM

BB,whatd you think of my MVA idea? Of course it needs refinements, say a max of like .16 or something, but I think it could go places. I would write my congressman, but my girlfriend was an intern on capitol Hill this past summer and told me I would pretty much be wasting my time because it'd never get to him. Constituent calls and emails get the 2 click standard email job from the interns.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:07 AM

Here's another MADD policy that's not working... raising the drinking age from 18 to 21:

Researchers at the Center of Alcohol Studies at Rutgers University found that raising the drinking age to 21 simply shifted fatalities from those aged 18 to 20 to those aged 21 to 24. They concluded, on the basis of their exhaustive federally-funded study, that drinking experience, not drinking age, is the most important factor. 1

A new and comprehensive study examined the effects of different traffic safety measures (speed limits, discretionary and mandatory seat belt laws, alcohol policies, etc.) over time on a variety of age groups. The researchers found that raising the drinking age was associated with fatality reductions of 5% among 18-20 year-olds at the expense of an 8% increase among 21-23 year-olds. Higher drinking age and "policies which keep teens away from alcohol may to some degree simply shift the attendant mortality risks to young adulthood," they observed. Additionally, "the magnitude of the mortality redistribution" is "quite large." 2

As Dr. Mike A. Males of the University of California observes, "The bottom line is that raising the drinking age to 21 did not improve a young person's odds of avoiding fatal alcohol mishap before age 25." 3

The popular idea that delaying the consumption of alcohol by young people appears highly questionable. As researchers at the Center of Alcohol Studies found, drinking experience reduces traffic fatalities.

This suggests that young people should learn to drink in moderation before learning to drive. Inexperienced drinking combined with inexperienced driving appears to be a highly dangerous mix.

This is not a strange or radical idea. Italians, Greeks, Spaniards, Jews, Portuguese and many others around the world teach their children how to drink in moderation as pre-schoolers. What's a strange and radical idea is imposing a minimum drinking age of 21. Of all the nations of the entire world, the U.S.is the only country to maintain this extreme social experiment. The other countries that have tried it (Ukrainia and South Korea) have concluded that it doesn't work and have abandoned it.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dropped 10 grand on a lawyer. It didn't really help much though becasue in AZ there is a mandatory sentencing schedule for DUI offenses. So the only wa a lawyer can really help is trying to find discrepencies or mitigating circumstances in the case. Also AZ prisons don't offerf 2 for 1s in terms of days served. I will have to serve atleast 85% of my time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm actually quite impressed that you are actually going to do the time. I know if I was in your situation I'd leave the jurisdiction. No hesitation. 2.5 years is way too much time to lose.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the greatest part about these threads is seeing the posters that people usually bend over backwards to suck their dicks, sit here and show their true colors for the complete idiots and waste of human live they really are irl.

op...i hope you spend a miserable 2 years in prison and that it convinces you not to drink and drive again.

if it doesn't...i hope you rott in hell.

buh-bye

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't you the guy who finally admitted in our previous DUI thread that the reason you feel so strongly is because you crashed your car when you were drunk off your azz???

Seems like you've become a self righteous self hater :-0

[/ QUOTE ]

ummmmmm, no. you're not even good at making things up.

try harder