Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you cheat at online poker?
Yes, I cheat. 23 24.21%
No, I don't 72 75.79%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-15-2007, 03:40 PM

Default Re: SMP Outdoorsmen Poll

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Although, I do think (regardless of madnak's reply) it is hard to experience the wild and not believe that something greater than chance is responsible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since there is virtually no chance exhibited in nature, that seems reasonable. Natural selection is as far from chance as things can get and still not be preprogrammed.

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand. I was referring to start up...
Old 10-15-2007, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is amazing the sheer numbers of arrogant jerks you find on the Internet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm everywhere.

[ QUOTE ]
I put up a simple poll because I was curious about the topic and you feel you need to add the above.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops, sorry dude, I was totally off-base. See, here I thought you had a position on theism vs. atheism and on nature and God, and I tried to predict your stance and obviously I was wrong. You had nothing to say about anything, no agenda, you just wanted to know how many SMPers hang out in the great outdoors. My bad...

[ QUOTE ]
Although, I do think (regardless of madnak's reply) it is hard to experience the wild and not believe that something greater than chance is responsible.

[/ QUOTE ]

...I was totally off-base.

No, to make my point explicit, because pure snarkism isn't appropriate on this forum, I wasn't insulting you to be a jerk. I was anticipating your argument to undermine your credibility. This is a point that has been brought up over and over again here and probably on almost every relevant forum out there. By nipping things in the bud, I think I can prevent Splendour-esque preaching or worse ("Jaws" theme, anyone?). It's already been said, but I'll reiterate - evolution isn't "chance," and a sense of meaning doesn't depend on theism.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm everywhere.

[ QUOTE ]
I put up a simple poll because I was curious about the topic and you feel you need to add the above.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops, sorry dude, I was totally off-base. See, here I thought you had a position on theism vs. atheism and on nature and God, and I tried to predict your stance and obviously I was wrong. You had nothing to say about anything, no agenda, you just wanted to know how many SMPers hang out in the great outdoors. My bad...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

...I was totally off-base.

No, to make my point explicit, because pure snarkism isn't appropriate on this forum, I wasn't insulting you to be a jerk. I was anticipating your argument to undermine your credibility. This is a point that has been brought up over and over again here and probably on almost every relevant forum out there. By nipping things in the bud, I think I can prevent Splendour-esque preaching or worse ("Jaws" theme, anyone?). It's already been said, but I'll reiterate - evolution isn't "chance," and a sense of meaning doesn't depend on theism.

[/ QUOTE ]

No worries. I should have searched for the thousands of theism/atheism/nature threads prior to. My mistake. I wasn't coming from that angle on the chance comment, but hey, you already know where I'm going...

Mission accomplished. You won't here from me again. Somehow, I'll manage.

Rave on, bro...
Old 10-15-2007, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Which is, I assume, your angle - "people who spend time in the outdoors see God's beauty and so they believe and blah blah blah irrational."

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so you call him an arrogant jerk and then basically prove him right.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Which is, I assume, your angle - "people who spend time in the outdoors see God's beauty and so they believe and blah blah blah irrational."

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who says you can't be an arrogant prick and be right? And all this time I thought SMP was for the smart folks...
Old 10-15-2007, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who says you can't be an arrogant prick and be right? And all this time I thought SMP was for the smart folks...

[/ QUOTE ]

nobody does. it's his rightness that makes his tone appropriate.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nobody does. it's his rightness that makes his tone appropriate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess where you come from. I typically like to act like I been there before.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No worries. I should have searched for the thousands of theism/atheism/nature threads prior to. My mistake. I wasn't coming from that angle on the chance comment, but hey, you already know where I'm going...

[/ QUOTE ]

There was nothing wrong with your posts. But there was nothing wrong with mine, either. If you continue to post about theism/atheism, chances are your arguments will be characterized as irrational again. And right or wrong, people will put words in your mouth again, and just plain misinterpret you. It's no big deal, goes with the territory.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:07 PM

I live in Las Vegas. I go outdoors and ride my bike 2 hours everyday in the city. I love it. Rarely do I go to the outdoors that you describe. Does that mean that I really dont like out doors?

pokervintage