Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 06:43 PM

Default Re: Getting in shape for aBBall prop bet- log maybe

[ QUOTE ]
You need to just play basketball. When we were doing high school basketball conditioning we would run a bunch of suicides each day. We would increase the number and eventually did like 30 in 30 minutes or something like that. Well i could run a million suicides without getting tired, but when we started actual practice I was still tired as hell.

The best way to get into shape is to just go out and play. Go to some playgrounds and shoot around alot until your shot comes back to you. It wont take very long. If you had a shot once you can get it back pretty quick.

Then just get into some games so you are running around the court alot.

One on One basketball can take alot out of you if you are not in good shape though.

Really just get out there and play. That's the best way to get into shape for anything. You dont need eliptical or anything like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

This guys is sucking wind and puking after a game, it is a little different.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:32 PM

yeah, guids is right. What you're talking about Root is going from preseason shape to in-game shape. OP is starting from a sedentary and lethargic lifestyle.

I agree with a basic combo of drills + sprints at the end. When I first started doing my shooting drills, I focused on form and took my time, because it took me a while to get good form back. Once that was in place, I try to do everything quickly. Even though I'm not sprinting balls out the whole time, just the extra effort to get the rebound quickly and back into the drill helps my conditioning.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:33 PM

What I am really saying is doing all those drills and sprints wont get you into shape to play basketball. I know he is puking now but if he is not playing for money he can go more at his own pace.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:33 PM

Well I didn't puke and I think having a stomach full of beer and some BBQ had a lot to do with that. I do have some cardio problems though, and I need to at least improve them a bit.

My opponent isn't very good. And I won't be playing in an intramural league or anything. Just this one on one game.

I found a site with a crap load of drills on it, I'm gonna pick the ones that are most important from my judgement. I'll probably post them here once I decide.

I need enough wind to score 7 points, or maybe 11. I would assume a 15 minute game, maybe 30 at the most. If I could get my short-mid jumper going, around the free throw line and the shoulder, that would be a big help, as I wouldn't have to run and drive as much. As I said I'm still faster than him so he has to play back. If I can hit a few jumpers without running to much and get him to come out on me a few drives should end it.

I thought this would be a harder challenge but the more I think about it the easier it seems like it'll be. I've gotten some good advice from here though and still glad I made the post. Maybe I'll post some updates after all, on stuff like made baskets and number of suicides. I definately need to concentrate on form before worrying about making buckets to start with though.