Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 08:45 PM

Default Re: LO8 - Strategy Question

Tell me where this is at and I'll tell you how to beat it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I imagine you think this is easy pickings, and if it turns out that way for you, great.

If you are able to help me out too, so much the better (or bettor - weak pun heheh).

Anyway, it's Absolute - where I think the best LO8 ganes are, not Stars, and certainly not FT - I might try FT again if there was 150% rakeback - I just do not like the site.

Good luck.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:17 PM

Don't bluff or bluff very rarely (very few semibluffs or c-bets with very little).
You can play more hands, but it is important to play only hands that fare well in multiway pots. You can still play AA69dblsuited, but not because you often hit overpair and mediocre low (something that would be enough shorthanded), but because you have 2 nut flush draws and a set draw and you should also play it for those values (call/reraise from ep, call after 1-2 limpers mp and raise multiple limpers lp). From BB for 1 bet call with 3-card hands and high pairs (245K, TJQ3, 87QQ), but only continue with a strong flop fit and fold naked non nut draws often (245K ok with A39 or 36K, but worthless with 67J or 37T). Play your strong draws and strong made hands fast/hard and...

...all kinda other crap you need to do to properly adjust to loose aggressive games that have the highest possible profit potential (emphasis on the word potential), but you need to know what to do and forget silly bs like "it's all math, no poker".
Old 07-27-2007, 11:48 PM

It's "poker" but with an entirely different set of solutions than what you're used to.

Also, be careful when you do figure it out and then try to adjust back to your "regular" online game. I get screwed up every time I try.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:07 AM

Jamming all the premium hands early, and be willing to peel to backdoor 2way nut hands given the size of the pot.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I have another problem in that I get frustrated when I get hosed. Example: last week I had A477 and flopped 755. We had a capped flop and the turn came Q and the river 9. A guy turns over QQT7 to scoop. This guy called 3 bets cold PF and 4 bets on the flop to hit a 2 outer. You want to play with these guys, but it is really hard to be patient.

Buzz is right: winning at this game is all math, no poker. The skills you learned here at 2p2 and in your mid- and high-limit ring games online are of little use. But it is easy to beat if you avoid frustration and take the longview, which sometimes gets hard to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

No doubt QQT7 isnt a decent hand but actually I believe yours a477 whas even worse.

I made a small experiment with cardplayer calculator nad entered 3 hands, 2 of them i what I comsider premiums (AK32 and AJJ%)and the 3rd one was yours and your opponents to see how they rate.

Here are the equities

AK32 - 0.407
AJJ5 - 0.405
A774 - 0.188

And next set

AK32 - 0.504
AJJ5 - 0.264
QQT7 - 0.232

So actually QQT7 rates to score better against premiums then yours A477. So if we call QQT7 hopeless hand then what to say about yours??

Of course on flop this guy was on a suicide mission, but the point is when you start a story i was there in a 3-bet pot with A477 and then got really unlucky you miss the the thing that your hand was bad and you get very lucky by catching a miracle flop, but in the long run you will lose money with it.

A477 is so bad bacuse it had almost no chance for low and to get the high you gotta hit the set, and omaha 8b is not a game where you should setmine.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:34 PM

This gives me something to think about. I appreciate that.

In general, my game plan in that kind of game is to play hands hat are better that what I think my opponents will have. I define "premium" hands in this context not by what is best against all 5300 or so possible hands but against what I think my opponents have. I see now that this may be wrong, but that is what I'm thinking.

In this hand, QQT7 was in EP, the game maniac limped, and I raised PF with that hand. In my view, A477 was sufficiently likely to be better than what anyone else had PF.

And it was: no one showed a better low draw. Usually you would be right. I would almost never play A477 in a game of competent players, but in that context it felt right.

I'd like to see how A477 fares against QQT7 and 2 random hands. I don't have the time now to run it but if someone else does before I get to it that's great.

I'd like to know if anyone else thinks that this is a suboptimal solution and why. Thx
Old 07-28-2007, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In my view, A477 was sufficiently likely to be better than what anyone else had PF.

And it was: no one showed a better low draw. Usually you would be right. I would almost never play A477 in a game of competent players, but in that context it felt right.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would do exactly the opposite. I may play A477 in a decent game under some conditions. For example raise with it in CO when no one opened or play 1 on 1 pot in position against someone who probably has something like A23J and my hand although not great is playable.

But in loose games its completly different. Most of the time when you have A447 you will be stuck in the middle between someone who got lucky enough to pick up A2 and some dummy who got hard because he picked up KK66 and will think its pure gold.

And geting stuck in the middle and chasing both ways is very costly.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:11 PM

True that. In an effort to maximize my potential in this game, I may have sprung a leak.

Please tell me, then, how you would you solve this problem: When I play a conventional TAG game against this field (maybe VPIP=25), we get 6+ callers to the flop typically ... when I flop the shizit, I get 1 or 2 callers and hardly get paid. When other people hit, they get paid by 3 or 4 morons. The nits in the game will see just about any flop but won't give me much action postflop when I bet. How do you make the most of this? I thought that opening up a bit was +EV but I can certainly see why this may not be so.