Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2007, 02:47 PM

Default Pull + Popup: Why do we get steep?

Question for the experts:

I was wondering if there was a "typical" mechanical cause for suddenly getting steep with a long club (Driver, 3W) and hitting a pulled popup?

Obviously, doing this is embarassing, but it's also frustrating in that it doesn't happen often and seemingly comes and goes quite randomly.

Is it simply a matter of getting out on the front side too soon/quickly, or is there something else happening?
Old 07-05-2007, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Pull + Popup: Why do we get steep?

I think more often than not this shot is a combination of two swing thoughts: "hit it hard," and "don't go right."
Old 07-05-2007, 03:22 PM

Usually when I see this, it comes from a passive lower half, and active upper half.
When you say,"getting out on the front side too quickly", it's possible if the downswing is lead/dominated by the arms/shoulders.
It is unlikely if you begin the downswing with a weightshift to the left foot.
Think of throwing a ball, or bowling.
The left foot is planted, weight is transferred to it, and a chain reaction is started moving upward-finishing with the release.
This is an athletic move.

Typical poor golf swing- the downward motion is lead by the arms/shoulders which turns the hips, ending with the left foot lastly getting planted. Backwards and unathletic.

You want active lower half; reactive upperhalf.

To see this in action, stand behind golfers on the range.
Watch the hands/grip at the top of the backswing.
If the first move the hands/grip makes when changing directions is down (or "in the slot"), then weight is being transferred properly (from ground up, causing a slight lateral drive with the hips before rotating, which pulls the club down).
If the first move the hands make from the top is not down, but out (or "over the top") then the downswing has been initiated with the upper body.
This rerouts the path of the club to an outside-in path, and steeper than ideal.

I think of a qb, or pitcher, or centerfielder throwing home, or bowler.
Wind up (weight on right foot), stride, release.

If the order is right, usually the path is too.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:33 PM

I can tell you why and when I pop it up:
Usually I drop my left leg and my head dips.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:05 PM

I hit one of these today and it lead to a triple-bogey that ruined my round. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I think I know what happened. I wanted to hit the drive long, but that thought made me 'reach' back for more. My right elbow got away from my body and I tilted my shoulders. At the top of my swing I did not have much chance to recover. My left foot spun out a little and when I tried to put a powerful move through the ball - - - I got a sky ball pull into the trees on the left. Yuck.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:52 PM

Here's the real truth: It is natural for your arms to crave space from your body. Unfortunately for the golf swing this generally relates to arms/hands either:
A. lifting in your backswing
B. moving away from your body in your downswing

Both of these actions cause the club to move on a much too upright plane throughout your golf swing. How do we solve this? Many way actually. I have found that in order to make a proper downswing it is a MUST that you have room to do so. Sounds simple, yes? Not so easy. Most golfers run into trouble because in their backswing the club moves far too inside causing them to then lift their arms/hands/club to complete the backswing. This causes the swing to move from under the swing plane to over the swing plane. In order to hit quality shots we must do the oppostie, swing the club first over the swing plane and then back under it.

A few good drills:

1. No club necessary. Take your right hand (back of hand) and place is on the back of your left hand at your address position. Now, make a backswing by pushing back with your right hand. This will put you in a position with your arm swing where you actually have room to swing the club from inside-out on your downswing.

2. Take a foam noodle, nothing harder and put in at the same height as your hands at setup and directly down your toe-line 1-2 feet behind you. It is your goal in your backswing to swing the club over the noodle and back under it in your downswing.

Have fun and good luck.