Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 06-27-2007, 12:45 PM

Default Ruling Re: Raise or Call

I like to use common sense in these situations. I only think the rules should be pulled out when actions like a single chip call or this one cause action on players behind. If the players behind have not acted, I see nothing wrong with asking the player what his intention was before moving on.

So in essence, I don't even like the single chip rule. If a player lays out a single chip and the dealer or a player behind asks him what it means, he should have the choice of declaring a call or a legal raise up to the amount of the single chip. However, if a player behind also calls or raises, then the rules have to come out and the big chip can only be a call.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:56 PM

Default Re: Ruling Re: Raise or Call

[ QUOTE ]
This is pre-flop action here. pre-flop over chip into the pot with no verbal declaration is just a call.
Same as if UTG or anyone else tossed in a 5,000 chip with no verbal announcement. It would be a call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats fine, but can you address the issue of why or why not you think this is a single oversized chip, when in fact it looks like the player DELIBERATELY bet two chips (by acting to take back two chips but not the third)
Old 06-27-2007, 02:00 PM

Default Ruling Re: Raise or Call

In my opinion if your player is taking back part of his 1st bet and adding another chip to his action then the bet is not a single oversize chip. My opinion is that the player is actually taking back his entire 1st bet and completing his action with 2 chips not a single oversize chip.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is pre-flop action here. pre-flop over chip into the pot with no verbal declaration is just a call.
Same as if UTG or anyone else tossed in a 5,000 chip with no verbal announcement. It would be a call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats fine, but can you address the issue of why or why not you think this is a single oversized chip, when in fact it looks like the player DELIBERATELY bet two chips (by acting to take back two chips but not the third)

[/ QUOTE ]

Rather than an over chip situation, I think this is the rule that applies.
[ QUOTE ]
8. The same action may have a different meaning, depending on who does it, so the possible intent of an offender will be taken into consideration. Some factors here are the person’s amount of poker experience and past record.

[/ QUOTE ]

It should be pretty clear from what the player does here if he meant to raise or call. Somethign has gone horribly wrong if a player's intent is clear and a floorman or dealer cites some rule and forces them to do somethign else.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:30 PM

This is what I meant in my earlier post. If the player's intent was clear then the dealer should have handled it without calling the floor person. If the player's intended action was so unclear that a floor person had to be called for a decision then the floor person will have to decide based on known and established rules.