Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2007, 03:27 PM

Default Home tourney situation and question

We were playing an 8-player $20 SNG at my house over the weekend when this situation presented itself.

The game is three handed.

The player on the button (seat 7) open-raises all-in preflop.

The small blind (seat 1) folds and mucks them across the table to the dealer.

The player in the big blind calls (he is covered by the raiser).

Everyone is dealing. The person on the button is dealing. When the small blind mucks his card to the dealer, one of the cards slides into the dealer's hand. The dealer does not notice this and, after he is called, inadvertently rolls over all three cards.

The small blind was able to fully identify his cards to the table, rank and suits. What should the ruling be?
Old 01-15-2007, 03:42 PM

Default Re: Home tourney situation and question

The mucked card is re-mucked. The hand continues with BB all-in vs. button. SB is asked to muck cards in a more controlled way for future references.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The mucked card is re-mucked. The hand continues with BB all-in vs. button. SB is asked to muck cards in a more controlled way for future references.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agreed. But how do you convince the big blind that the cards that he is now up against are the correct cards? The person on the button was able to identify his cards, as was the small blind, but the big blind continued to state that the hand was "dead".
Old 01-16-2007, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The person on the button was able to identify his cards, as was the small blind, but the big blind continued to state that the hand was "dead".

[/ QUOTE ]

"The dealer does not notice this and, after he is called, inadvertently rolls over all three cards.

The small blind was able to fully identify his cards to the table, rank and suits. What should the ruling be? "

The ruling is that the BB is being an ass and gets KITN. Just because he knows he's beaten, he wants to play a technicality?

Unless the 3 cards were mixed with the discards AND the three cards the dealer turned over were NOT his two cards and the extra card from the idiot across the table, tell loser boy to shut up.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agreed. But how do you convince the big blind that the cards that he is now up against are the correct cards? The person on the button was able to identify his cards, as was the small blind, but the big blind continued to state that the hand was "dead".

[/ QUOTE ]
I think BB wanted a "misdeal". Misdeals occur during the dealing of the cards. If the cards have been dealt fairly, then a misdeal is no longer possible.

At this point, we are now into dealing the flop and any irregularities having to to with this are handled in the fairest way possible and in a way which least changes the deck. At the very worst, SB's cards should have been removed from the deck and the deck reshuffled.

You hardly ever see a fairly dealt hand with action having taken place and chips in the pot, declared a "dead" hand; and then all chips go back to the bettors and new cards are dealt. As a matter of fact, I don't think this ever happens.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think BB wanted a "misdeal". Misdeals occur during the dealing of the cards. If the cards have been dealt fairly, then a misdeal is no longer possible.

At this point, we are now into dealing the flop and any irregularities having to to with this are handled in the fairest way possible and in a way which least changes the deck. At the very worst, SB's cards should have been removed from the deck and the deck reshuffled.

You hardly ever see a fairly dealt hand with action having taken place and chips in the pot, declared a "dead" hand; and then all chips go back to the bettors and new cards are dealt. As a matter of fact, I don't think this ever happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

No he wanted the dealers hand to be declared dead, not the whole hand. If there was any doubt as to which cards belonged to the dealer and which were the mucked cards then I would agree. The Dealers hand is dead. It is every players obligation to protect there cards and this is one of the things you protect against. But it sounds to me like there really was no doubt on anybodies part as to which cards were which, so there is no reason to kill the hand.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No he wanted the dealers hand to be declared dead, not the whole hand. If there was any doubt as to which cards belonged to the dealer and which were the mucked cards then I would agree. The Dealers hand is dead. It is every players obligation to protect there cards and this is one of the things you protect against. But it sounds to me like there really was no doubt on anybodies part as to which cards were which, so there is no reason to kill the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks, my reading skills let me down on this one. Yes, dealer's hand could technically be declared dead and BB awarded the pot. I guess the level of friendlyness of the game would determine the actual call.

In our game, we muck our cards into the middle of the table, not at the dealer. So basically, the pot is a mix of chips and mucked cards.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:09 PM

In a cardroom, the button's hand would probably be declared dead, because there's simply no way to be sure that SB and button aren't colluding.

In a home game, there's just no need for this level of nittiness. If everyone saw what happened and there's no reason to suspect any cheating, then just muck the extra card from SB and play the hand out.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In a cardroom, the button's hand would probably be declared dead, because there's simply no way to be sure that SB and button aren't colluding.

In a home game, there's just no need for this level of nittiness. If everyone saw what happened and there's no reason to suspect any cheating, then just muck the extra card from SB and play the hand out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Simple solution, I like it!