Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 01:00 AM

Default Re: Games in Vegas in January

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, so I've only been here for one January, but last year certainly didn't fit this scenario, nor from what I understand, has any year. Once we're past Christmas, this town starts to rock. CES is huge. Super Bowl weekend is the second biggest weekend of the year. Lots of conventions come into town. Jan was great last year, and I found great games all over town at the stakes I was playing, both limit and no limit.

You guys may know more than I do, or this could be a great level, but I wouldn't worry about finding a good game, but maybe a room for 2 weeks might be impossible.

[/ QUOTE ]

OP said middle of January. CES is usually in early January, Super Bowl in February, hence my observation. I can't remember why I was in town in the middle of January, but it was in between busy periods. If OP is going to be there for a fortnight, he may catch some of the busy time, but he'll probably also catch a lot of slow time.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:07 AM

January isn't dead in Vegas. Mid December is the *driest* period for the city. Limited tourists and no conventions. Conventions return after New Years and tourists are obviously there for new years and the weeks after that. How will it affect poker? No clue, can't hurt it.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:23 AM

December is not as dead as the rumors would lead you to believe. This is how they fill the town with the great room rates they advertise.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:53 AM

How about the weather, does it turn to crap in the winter months??
Old 09-05-2007, 08:51 AM

Week before Christmas is pretty bad. Before that is the rodeo, which can be pretty good. Last week was bad, even with MAGIC here. Cab lines at the airport a week ago Sunday were about two hours long. Other than that, not so good.

January isn't crappy weather, but it's cold. When you go through 4 months of 100 degrees every day, 40 is really cold.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How about the weather, does it turn to crap in the winter months??

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh but that depends on your defination of "crap". Remember, the definition of good games on 2+2 is universal though [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Hell, its 55-65 every day, I like that [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-05-2007, 10:31 AM

only real "slow" time is in the week or two before christmas. Its not even that slow if you ask me.

Also, as would a lot of people would agree with me, vegas in winter might even be better than vegas in summer. It can get a little cold, but whats wrong with that? Its not like its snowing. If you ask me, its a great time of year to go.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:08 PM

Last winter I never broke out a real jacket. I survived the whole winter with a sweatshirt. Year prior it did get cold enough to force me to break out something a little thicker with a bit more wind protection. It's rare for the temp to drop below freezing except for a couple hours before dawn and it's usually into the 50's by mid-afternoon.

Vegas in January is usually pleasant. It ain't Florida, but it ain't North Dakota, either.

http://www.cdc.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/USclimat...gifields=itypea