Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 08:01 PM

Default Re: Over-bet bluff shove...250bb deep.

Not sure I like it. You're representing a very narrow hand range here and what are you really hoping to fold out here w/ that big a bet, that a smaller couldn't accomplish?

It looks like he either has some kind of aces up that got counterfeited (which he will probably fold) or set, that's trapping (which doesn't fold).

So I think a $90 bet would accomplish the same here, am I way off here?
Old 11-21-2007, 08:02 PM

I really don't think there's anything that he calls a PSB that he'd fold to an overbet.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't think there's anything that he calls a PSB that he'd fold to an overbet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? See I disagree...which is why it was either shove or just give up in my mind.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:24 PM

I'm kinda going back and forth on this, you rep very few hands that make any sense and that shove on the river just seems very suspicious. However, this is nearly 250 bb deep so villian can easily fold reluctantly, and your read on him and especially his comment definitely helps your case here. If I had AT+, I'd have a really hard time letting this go to your river bet.

With that said, I thikn that's why this is a fantastic bet if you've got AK and something that I do on a regular basis (although I dont' shove, but that's just personal style i suppose). So with that said, I dont really like it. I think you're representing too little and a decent handreader will probably snap this off.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:28 PM

god i really like this. nh.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why would you shove for value vs a weak hand instead of bet like 75% pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good point...but I'm not sure if villain's thinking that way. And FWIW, I make over-bets like this for value all the time. I've been getting more folds than usual in these spots, so I figured it might be a good spot to bluff.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
why would you shove for value vs a weak hand instead of bet like 75% pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good point...but I'm not sure if villain's thinking that way. And FWIW, I make over-bets like this for value all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

me too, but the reason you valueshove AK or Tx here is that villain will sometimes think 'wtf, why would he overbet a strong hand' and calls with AJ

you can't both valueshove Tx here and overbet bluff imho*

either he calls light (Ax) making valueshoving a good play, or he doesn't call light and valueshoving is a bad play

i agree with you that valueshoving here is sexy and a good play, so this means that bluffing is a bad play because he's not folding enough ... maybe your last 3 valueshoves in spot s like this didn't get called, but variance is no reason to start making overbet bluffs that have to work 70% of the time [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

*the only reason you should do both is for balancing, but balancing is hugely overrated (in spots like) this @ small stakes imho ... vs how many regulars do you get to like 3+ showdowns in situations like this? exactly :P
Old 11-21-2007, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
*the only reason you should do both is for balancing, but balancing is hugely overrated (in spots like) this @ small stakes imho ... vs how many regulars do you get to like 3+ showdowns in situations like this? exactly :P

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, at this particular site, the player base for 1/2 is really small. I play w/ these same regs all day everyday. Even if I do get snapped off here, it's still really good for meta-game (well that's my excuse at least). [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2007, 10:30 PM

sexy. You're getting called here very rarely.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:33 PM

I think it's fine and agree 100% that the shove carries a LOT more fe than a pot sized bet here.