Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2007, 09:29 PM

Default General Theory: Blocker bets

Why do we use them? Where? What are people's thoughts on them? When would you use them vs an unknown? What board texture? I really just want to hear everyone's opinions on blocker bets and what merit they have, if any.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:37 PM

Default Re: General Theory: Blocker bets

Generally, a good board for it is when you have like T9 on a 4T98Q or something where the board gets too [censored] to value bet a decent amount but you don't wanna check and have him fire a full pot bet. I wouldn't use them against an unknown basically ever because I don't know if they can bluff-raise them or not, and I generally don't use them because I don't really think about them.

Something good though, and a hand I played a few months ago (so the actions may be a bit off):

I raise J9s in MP, and get a call on the BTN, flop comes J32, I bet 3/4 pot, he calls. Turn comes J, I check/call. River is a 3, I put out a blocker, he shoves and I snapcall, AK no good.

Like, I guess I could use a blocker there if I had QQ or something, which I was trying to rep, so basically when you don't wanna see a big bet but your hand has decent showdown value I guess.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:40 PM

In your example the blocker bet worked out horribly, it was good that you had a big hand though. Do you feel like a random unknown is capable of raising a blocker bet? If yes, would you use a blocker bet more to induce a bluff than to not face a big bet? Also, if you dont do them against unknowns, generally which types of players would you use them against? I just feel like I dont use them enough because right now I think I have done one blocker bet in the last 10k hands.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In your example the blocker bet worked out horribly, it was good that you had a big hand though. Do you feel like a random unknown is capable of raising a blocker bet? If yes, would you use a blocker bet more to induce a bluff than to not face a big bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Villains in the micros rarely bluff raise the river. They are much more likely to bluff bet. Bluff raising is usually very expensive, so they stay away from it.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:45 PM

Oh, I meant to put something about how a fake blocker is sick, but I got sidetracked trying to think about the action in the hand.

The guy was a decent regular (maybe not, but seemed like it at the time), and I figured he'd raise 100% of his range there since a block is usually a bet/fold.

As to your new questions:

- Random unknowns probably aren't gonna bluff raise a block bet, but they'll raise with their hands that they feel are great hands. I generally look at unknowns as people that play their cards and hardly ever make big bluffs.

- Against an unknown, I'd rather just value bet, because they're gonna talk themselves into a call most likely. They're not gonna raise unless they have a monster, so betting 1/4 pot or less isn't good because they'll just call most times.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:47 PM

How about blocker bets in regards to facing a TAG and to facing a LAG?
Old 11-01-2007, 09:49 PM

Depends. If the TAG's playing his cards only, I'd block them more on scary boards than I would a LAG, but I really don't like to do it against regulars. I'd do it more against fishy players because they're more likely to just call.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:52 PM

You use them when you have a hand you'd like to see a showdown with but can't stand a large river bet. Essentially you're buying yourself a showdown. I'd probably use one with something like AK on an AQ789 board or something, I'm sure there are better examples though
Old 11-01-2007, 09:54 PM

I think the merits it provides is that it may confuse your opponent who has something like a very weak two pair and will just call. My thinking is that you have to think your opponent will value bet with their hand here, and essentially you're saving yourself money if they're hand does beat you. Hand range is obviously pretty important in making a blocking bet
Old 11-01-2007, 10:29 PM

I don't think I ever block bet. It's either a thin value bet (or is this what a blocking bet is?) or I check to induce a bluff.