Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes

Old 11-28-2007, 09:16 AM

Default Help me with the basics please.

Hi everyone. I'm trying to make a limit to no limit conversion here and I must admit I'm a little lost. In the first hand I have no reads since the player just sat down. The small raises and bets lead me to a calldown. In the second hand, my opponent seems a little laggish pf but nothing out of the ordinary post flop. He's bet folded the flop a few times in the past so I wasn't sure if I should slowplay or not. Is this a standard turn raise. If so, how much?
Hand #1
PokerStars $0.10/$0.25 No-Limit Hold'em - 5 players
Hand Converter Tool from DeucesCracked.com

BB: $51.45
UTG: $34.75
CO: $6.50
Button: $28.45
SB: $30.80

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG folds, CO calls $0.25, Button folds, Hero calls $0.15, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.75) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 players)</font>
Hero bets $0.50</font>, BB folds, CO raises to $1</font>, Hero calls $0.50.

Turn: ($2.75) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img](2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO bets $1</font>, Hero calls $1.

River: ($4.75) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO bets $0.50</font>, Hero calls $0.50.

Final Pot: $5.75

Hand #2
PokerStars $0.10/$0.25 No-Limit Hold'em - 5 players
Hand Converter Tool from DeucesCracked.com

SB: $51.20
BB: $34.75
UTG: $9.25
CO: $28.45
Button: $28.05

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG folds, CO folds, Hero raises to $1</font>, SB raises to $2</font>, BB folds, Hero calls $1.

Flop: ($4.25) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)</font>
SB bets $2</font>, Hero calls $2.

Turn: ($8.25) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)</font>
SB bets $2</font>, Hero calls $2.

River: ($12.25) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)</font>
SB bets $10</font>, Hero raises to $20</font>, SB raises to $30</font>, Hero calls $2.05 (all in).

Final Pot: $56.35
Old 11-28-2007, 09:35 AM

Default Re: Help me with the basics please.

1st hand is a stnd for me, 2nd hand raise turn to 10$ as played don't raise that river.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:39 AM

In hand 1 the CO is very short and obviously an idiot so I like a crai on the turn.

In hand 2 yes, you definitely need to raise this turn and it is very very standard to do so. Make it 10. If he has a bigger A or even any A you have him crushed. Calling here is really, really, horrible because you're not charging him if he's drawing and are giving him implied odds all the way to the bank - also, you're not building a large pot when you're very likely way ahead and should be looking for a way to get all the money in the middle. In NL you need to protect your hand because if people hit you won't lose only a BB or 2 like in limit - you'll lose your stack. You need to keep an eye on stack sizes at all times.

You should get a good introductory NL book - the 2+2 one is pretty good - theory and practice. I used to play limit exclusively at one time and it can be a major change.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:07 AM

Sup Junky - try to help here.

Some basic concepts:

Hand one - Hand one turn gets even more drawy. I bet again and cc river. If you want to check turn, CR ai - given his stack size and board.

Hand two - don't like. I make it $11 on turn and play for stacks on the turn. As played, call bet on river. You off when behind when you could have used that $10 to reduce his turn odds.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:49 AM

I fold hand 1 preflop to a 3bet. Even a min3bet.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:00 AM

Bet the turn in the 1st hand. Check/call afterwards river generally.

You must raise the turn in the 2nd hand. It's way way better than felting the river.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:13 AM

Agree with Nick above, just adding that idjits love to make small bets with the flush draw to price themselves in, and it is your job to not let them. His turn bet screams it, so you have to raise, plus its the easiest way to make sure stacks go in. His big bet on the river telegraphs his hand, so at that point, you can't raise it.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:14 AM

#1 : fold preflop
#2 : reraise turn
Old 11-28-2007, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the basic reasoning behind taking this line after being raised on the flop and how much should the bet be. Also another poster suggested to CRAI on the turn. Is this to represent the straight and fold better queens? Do you think they fold often enough at this level?
Old 11-28-2007, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the basic reasoning behind taking this line after being raised on the flop and how much should the bet be. Also another poster suggested to CRAI on the turn. Is this to represent the straight and fold better queens? Do you think they fold often enough at this level?

[/ QUOTE ]

the crai is for pure value. They'll call you with anything they have, and he's so short you don't really care. You're ahead of his range as we see villain's with 2 pr, Q bad kicker, bare flush draw... their range is wide as can be. crai here is fine because we don't have to worry about reverse implied much at all.

A turn bet is fine too for value/protection against the flush draw/5outers which makes up a hunk of his range. Any way you do it, against someone that short you want the money to go in.

There's no real FE to be had. You're not folding better Qs -- and there's no straight to rep. What, you think he's going to put you on JT?? How?