Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2007, 04:44 AM

Default NL500: 98o OESD BTN vs. BB 3bet pot against TAG

5-handed. Hero is BTN with $510.00 and 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

BB is 19/15.5/4 over 490 hands good multi-tabling TAG reg with $715. He has reraised my LP opens quite a bit, I've folded every time in this session so far. His folded BB to steal is 65%.

I don't have 4-betting preflop in my game (leak?).

2 folds, Hero raises to $17.50, SB folds, BB raises to $55, Hero calls (I intend to raise most flops).

Flop 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (pots $112.50)

BB bets $80, Hero raises to $240, BB raises all in, Hero calls $215.

Is it normal to call a presumably light 3bet light in order to raise most flops?
Old 08-10-2007, 04:57 AM

Default Re: NL500: 98o OESD BTN vs. BB 3bet pot against TAG

Yes, either that or just 4-bet. But I would be more inclined to call his 3-bet w/ a SC rather than a OSC. 98o I would probably just dump or 4-bet/fold.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:00 AM

I don't think you should view a light 3-bet as a view to raising any flop and thus I think calling with the 98o PF was spewy IMO. You ended up getting yourself in a world of trouble with a very marginal hand.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:04 AM

Laetus, if I 4bet (and I may have to add this to my game), is raising to $120 or so about right?

GoldenIP, if we assume I had 98s what would you do preflop? Still fold? Call and fold to his cbet if missed?

I kind of think that we only know I got into a world of trouble because I posted the whole hand (when he shoves I'm definitely behind). So that's results oriented a bit maybe.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:09 AM

Ya, I would raise to $120-$130. We will perhaps have more FE w/ a smaller amount because to him it really looks like we want a call.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Laetus, if I 4bet (and I may have to add this to my game), is raising to $120 or so about right?

GoldenIP, if we assume I had 98s what would you do preflop? Still fold? Call and fold to his cbet if missed?

I kind of think that we only know I got into a world of trouble because I posted the whole hand (when he shoves I'm definitely behind). So that's results oriented a bit maybe.

[/ QUOTE ]

The point I made about getting in a world of trouble is that with hands like this, calling 3-bets often gets you in a world of trouble. Unless you flop the nuts, 99% it's going to be very difficult to play even with position against an OOP PF raiser. Unless of course, if you're a really good post-flop opponent, I think it's spewy. I think it was just a case of getting frustrated this guy was 3-betting you frequently. Perfectly reasonable too. Sometimes it's right to make a stand. I'd just prefer to do it with a more versatile hand.

Anyways, 98s, I'd definitely call PF with position. OOP - a fold.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:32 AM

With 98s is your plan usually to float a cbet on a low flop and fold to the cbet on a high flop that could have hit his range?
Old 08-10-2007, 06:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Is it normal to call a presumably light 3bet light in order to raise most flops?

[/ QUOTE ]
if you dont like money, sure
Old 08-10-2007, 07:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]if you dont like money, sure

[/ QUOTE ]My logic was that since he's reraising with close to, say, 25% of his hands (as he'd reraised most of those 35% times he has defended the BB) his range is similar to my BTN opening range (and he might think my 3bet calling range crushes his) and he will miss the flop most of the time (just like I will). So if I raise flop he will fold enough of the time for this to be profitable (assuming of course I don't treat every 3bet that way, just a rare one).

I am investing $295 to win $135 (assuming he cbets 100%) and some of the time I will actually not have pure air. It has to work less than 68% of the time to be profitable assuming I never flop anything, and actually less since I do sometimes.

E.g., if he continues only with KT/KQ/KJ(?)/77/TT/KK/AA/QJ/J9/x[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]y[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] then is that really significantly more than 32% of his range?

I'm probably just justifying my bad play, but can you still point out the flaw in my logic?

Old 08-10-2007, 11:23 AM

Lol @ playing back by calling with 89o

Also, raise flop to $340