Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2006, 11:35 AM

Default Melquiades Estrada

Has anyone seen "The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada", the new Tommy Lee Jones movie? Thought it was great but weirdly reminiscent of "Weekend at Bernie's".
Old 03-03-2006, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Melquiades Estrada

here's a Boris Movie Review

Three Burials is pretty good. The positives are that every single one of the characters is likable, even the bad guy. Also, the characters' actions throughout the movie are consistent with their personas, i.e. they're beleivable in a suspend your disbeleif cuz it's a movie kind of way.

The negatives. Some of the devices used to convey a character's emotions with out the character saying anything are kind of blunt. But I guess this movie was made for the mass market so TL Jones had make sure the masses of idiots "get it". There are also several scenes that are 100% not necessary. They don't really detract from the flick. They just leave you scratching your head as to why the scene was there in the first place. And lastly, and this is kind of a nit, but the journey from Texas to Mexico was eerily similiar to some scenes from Cormac McCarthy's book Blood Meridian. Now I'm not gonna say plagiarized. I'm just gonna say that I'll bet dollars to donuts that the story writer or TL Jones or both have read Blood Meridian.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:14 PM

i loved this movie, but these are really my type of movies.

obviously i love the story and the setting as a secondary character but for once i thought the subplot was really well done. The wives as the side story showing the boredom of the southern Texan town, how their lives are moving in slow motion yet they are perfectly content with where they are. The rendezvous' and the lying are just a part of the monotony of diner working and border living. I found it interesting to see the unhappiness though the unwillingness to improve.

this is really a favorite movie of mine.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:29 PM

This is the best movie I've seen in quite awhile. I especially liked Levon Helm as the old blind guy with the radio.The dim witted January Jones character was the only one with enough sense to leave, even with her husband missing.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:35 PM

i liked the old blind guy too, it was a clever change in the pace of the movie.

yeah, the january jones character and the diner's wife character were great, it was as if the january jones character was able to break the mold before it had dried and settled in, different from the diner's wife. very cool movie.