Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2006, 10:06 PM

Default How to Kill the Monster

Yes, I know there's already a thread on this, but let's start one on how to solve it. While trying to find a 2/4 6-max non-monster table with a pot over $12 tonight, I realized something. We need a hero that represents poker players. Someone that can stop this nonsense.

No, not David Sklansky. I'm talking about the Poker Player's Alliance. Before you tell me I'm crazy and that Party and the PPA are basically the same thing (with some cruise lines and upgraded cabins along the way), hear me out.

I, as well as many others, have joined the PPA. They threw in a bonus, but we all know that we need representation. Hell, I even had my non-poker-playing spouse join to help with the support. I've written to my odious congressmen--none of whom I voted for--and explained to them nicely why they should shoot down the internet gambling ban. The PPA told me to, and I didn't even use their form letter. If I say so myself, I was quite charming.

Now something else threatens our game, and that's Party Poker and their bid to turn online poker into an involuntary lottery. We've worked and studied hard on how to profit from the skill of poker, and now they've definately turned it into gambling. Party is trying to sap money from their regular players and use it for advertising, and the other sites will follow suit if it succeeds.

PPA implores us tearfully to save online gambling and then Party tries to bleed us. Screw that! Save your breath with Party Poker's non-existant customer support, because they don't care. Many of us have given money and support to the Poker Player's Alliance . They claim that they support the rights of online poker players. Let them know how wrong this hijacking of our games are and prove that they are not part of a self-serving poker company.

My suggestion is to voice your concerns to the PPA. If anyone else has suggestions, let's have them. Party's Monster junk is a good marketing idea, but not one that should be forced down our throats.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:12 PM

Default Re: How to Kill the Monster

Whatever organizing we need to do to bring a quicker death to the Monster promotion, or at least tone it down, I'm here to support.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Party's Monster junk is a good marketing idea, but not one that should be forced down our throats.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true, but Party's Monster BS brings more fishies to the tables.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:57 PM

It's not really being forced down your throat. You don't have to play at the Monster tables and it looks like there will be plenty of non-Monster tables to play at.

Give it some time and the fish might be playing mostly non-Monster tables. You can choose what tables to play at just like you could with the previous Bad Beat tables.

I think everyone is complaining way too much about this promo, which actually has quite a large overlay with what Party is throwing into it.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not really being forced down your throat. You don't have to play at the Monster tables and it looks like there will be plenty of non-Monster tables to play at.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not exactly. Have you logged in recently?
Old 07-26-2006, 12:02 AM

Yes. What levels do you play? It looks to be about half and half Monster/regular. I suspect more and more will become regular.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:29 AM

At 2/4 limit full there were 3 non monster tables tonight. Opposed to about 30 monster tables

EDIT: after typing this I decided to check again
54 monster tables 4 non monster tables at 2/4. 3/6 doesn't seem as bad. It appears 2/4 got it the worse as far as limit goes.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is true, but Party's Monster BS brings more fishies to the tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you think that? Most of the fish are already here playing the Short Hand tables. Now you have the same tables with a Monster Rake. They look exactly the same to me.

It would need a huge increase in new fish to change the average fisheness of Pary's already ginormous player pool.

This promtion is only more money off the table and out of our pockets into 'freeroll' tournaments that, for me personally, are time consuming -EV at unplayable times.

I play ring games to win cash at ring games - if they want to fund a Monster tournament then up the rake on all the tournaments.

I wouldn't mind so much if they just put the money into a lottery at least you wouldn't have to waste any time playing to see if you win.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:36 AM

Yep, the fish will go to whatever powerball, lottery, scratchoff or blue tables they see, and that's what Party is counting on. I'm not saying "ZOMG the sky is falling!!" I suspect that people will begin to gravitate back to black tables once they realize they're paying a huge premium for a small chance to hit it big. However, Party is telling us and the uninformed that "we're not actually paying any more than normal." Booshyte. We shouldn't put up with such crap with an industry that we largely support.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:02 AM

They are not leaving the regular tables to *go play at* the monster tables.

The reason fish go to those tables is because the Monster Jackpot Games tab is open by default, and it pushes out the Cash Games tab, so most players only see the Monster tables. The good players realize this, but the fish who are just htere to gamble just sit at the first table they find.

This does not bring any more fish to the games, it just sucks the money out of the players's stacks and our bankrolls. And yes, the reason I play cash is because I hate tournaments, why should I have to play a tournament where I don't feel comfortable to recover the money I put in playing? This is absolutely ridiculous.