Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2006, 03:21 AM

Default OESD donks an A

It's been a while since I posted cause I haven't been playing much. Sat down @ the commerce 9/18 for the first time in a while. Was pretty much card dead most of the time so this was really the only interesting hand.

Table got short and we're sitting 6 handed. EP limps new player who I don't have much a read on other than she's not good limps in LP. I look down and see T6o in the BB and check my option.

Flop 754 giving me an OESD and an over. Ep checks LP bets, I call, EP folds

Turn A

I bet, LP calls

River 4

Whats my plan? What do you think of the turn donk?
Old 06-29-2006, 03:34 AM

Default Re: OESD donks an A

I don't like the turn donk, and I don't think you're going to be able to pick the pot up enough on the river to make a bet worth it. I'd say check > open folding >> betting.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:34 AM

I like the turn donk against players who can fold a flopped pair. At 9/18, there aren't many of them. But there are some. Also, if this is the type of guy who would bet the flop with overs (but no ace), then I like it.

Check/fold the river. He called the turn, so he won't fold the river if he has any pair.

Basically, you can only force out a better hand if he also had an OESD and had a better kicker (J6, Q6, K6).
Old 06-29-2006, 03:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the turn donk against players who can fold a flopped pair. At 9/18, there aren't many of them. But there are some. Also, if this is the type of guy who would bet the flop with overs (but no ace), then I like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this, but given the "not very good" read, and even with no read at all, I don't think this is the time for it.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:04 PM

Default One more thing

My image here at this point is super tight. I've sat @ the table and folded for the last hour and a half. I played maybe 1 or 2 pots not in the blind. I haven't shown down a single hand.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:07 PM

Why not? LP limped in pf and it was checked to her on the flop. Her range of hands here is hugely wide ranging from any pair to an oesd to 2 overs. Both of us have shown a lot of weakness so far this hand and flop bet w/overs might not be too far out of line and may actually be the correct flop play b/c there's a significant chance she picks up the pot right there. Once the ace comes she has a very tough call on the turn w/just overs.

This is also a situation where I might have to call a bet on the turn w/my oesd but I'm not likely to get raised either when I do bet.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:09 PM

I'd raise this flop and depending on a turn card decide whether to take a free card or not.

disregard that, I thought we were in position.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:01 PM

Hi Scott,

ESPECIALLY since you have a tight image, I would definitely bet out on the flop. This hand most likely would have ended right there on the turn, if it even got past the flop.

Given your play, the turn bet is fine, but your betting is over. Check/fold the river.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:07 PM

Representing a paired ace is not a good play at Commerce $9-18(which is why value betting is sooo important). Its a play that I really have never seen work except when the games get reaaaaaly tight, and then why are you playing in that game.

I agree with OGR that your play here was to open bet the flop. With a tiny pot and only two players acting behind you, theres a decent chance....maybe ~20-30% that both players instafold which when combined with your draw, and the ability to get paid if you hit it...makes it a decent bet. However, when you open the door and allow the position player to bet first....IMO, there are very few $9-18 players that are gonna muck to your turn donk.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:08 AM

Do you really think I fold overs when I donk the flop? I didn't want to bet the flop b/c I didn't think I had much folding equity on this coordinated flop. I figured they'd just call my flop bet and I'm not oop on the turn. These guys know my image is tight but I believe they will try to chase me down if they think they can. When I bet on the ace, they've gotta think that I have an ace and might fold a hand like KQ JT etc. I've given them every indication that I like the ace. For the record, I was betting any K or Q as well.