Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2007, 02:06 PM

Default Check raise continuation bets

More of a theory post than a direct hand example. Just wondered what people's stance was on check raise c betting at full ring, how often do you do it and how successful you found it? I'll sometimes employ it hu against aggressive players on dryish boards out of position obviously.

For example (400nl)I standard raise 4x utg+1 with AJs and MP flats (No stats, but he is decent agg reg, and probly has me as a TAG).

On a 345 (rbow), I check raise his $20 to $75,

Do you prefer betting and double barreling a decent turn (q,k,10,9,8,3, or obviously a,j) or check raising the flop? I know it is good to mix it up however I think check raising narrows his range a lot here because a decent player (which he is) bet folds 77-1010/jj with which we would probably need to double barrel anyway and also a lot of his air hands.

Although we are clearly dependent on him betting, this picks up an extra bet from his air hands that he would mostly fold to a flop c bet. My main benefit from a check raise is that it looks a lot stronger than straight c betting and even double barreling and if he continues then his range is narrowed to a strong hand.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:28 PM

Default Re: Check raise continuation bets

I much prefer donk betting than c/r'ing. For example, if I call a raise OOP (for whatever reason), then I'll lead with sets and big draws. If I think the preflop raiser is raising too much, especially if we're heads up, I will occasionally call a preflop raise with the intention of betting into him on any flop, then (if called) bet the turn if I have any pair or any draw. I'm usually so tight that I get some respect with this kind of stop & go vs a habitual HJ/CO/BTN raise when I'm in the blinds.

I don't like c/r'ing typically because it costs too much when you're behind, and wins too little (one cb only) when you are ahead. I seem to recall a note in Bruson's SSI about this very topic. He usually avoided flop c/r'ing flops too, if memory serves.