Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Have you ever made love while you watched the Late Late Show?
Yes 4 18.18%
No 18 81.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-14-2006, 12:03 PM

Default Poll: Do you claim taxes on your winnings?

Since the questions of taxing players is coming up, I'm curious. I don't think this will be as representative (I think if you polled BBV, many more don't claim). Anyway, here we go.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:27 PM

Default Re: Poll: Do you claim taxes on your winnings?

Yes. I claim income in compliance with state and federal laws, and I claim everything I make.

Like Benny Binion told Doyle Brunson long ago (in context): Claim all of your income, because you don't want the government on your case and money sitting in a box isn't doing any good. Brunson took it to heart. One year, he actually lost money, but he claimed some income anyway so the IRS wouldn't get on his case.
Old 10-14-2006, 04:47 PM

Wow, kinda surprised that "No" is ahead. I'm assuming most of these are small (<$10k) winners?
Old 10-14-2006, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, kinda surprised that "No" is ahead. I'm assuming most of these are small (<$10k) winners?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know any winners making <15K that pay taxes. I seriously doubt the IRS is gonna run u down for a puny 15K anyway. Now, if you are making 25K+ its ur ass if you dont pay.

Indy
Old 10-14-2006, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't know any winners making <15K that pay taxes. I seriously doubt the IRS is gonna run u down for a puny 15K anyway. Now, if you are making 25K+ its ur ass if you dont pay.

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

I do (make less than 15k and claim). I do because :

a: I don't want to have to explain the deposits in my account if I'm audited.

but mainly b: I believe it is morally wrong to hide income from taxation. Believe me, I realize I'm in the minority. And I'm not surprised that No is ahead. Most people think I'm crazy to pay. Of course, most people I know, when I bring up taxes, talk about how to cheat like it's not big deal.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:03 PM

i think its morally wrong to pay federal taxes since ~50% goes to weapons.
you can make >25k and still not pay taxes, you just have to be willing to move your money around slowly and watch how much you have sitting in your bank accounts at one time
Old 10-14-2006, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think its morally wrong to pay federal taxes since ~50% goes to weapons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Second that! I pay taxes out of my a$$ on my legal income, that's enough to fund their war in Iraq and pay exorbitant salaries to idiotic members of the Congress.

I will screw government any way I can. No poker taxes from me - unless I start making over 50K a year.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:17 PM

What the hell's the point in living in fear. Like one of the responses above, I pay so I don't have to explain what's going on if I get audited for other reasons.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What the hell's the point in living in fear. Like one of the responses above, I pay so I don't have to explain what's going on if I get audited for other reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

fear of fines is not a motivator for me, i couldn't live with myself if i willingly contribute to killing someone. anyways, they have absolutly no reason to audit me
Old 10-14-2006, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

fear of fines is not a motivator for me, i couldn't live with myself if i willingly contribute to killing someone. anyways, they have absolutly no reason to audit me

[/ QUOTE ]

well, honestly, I've struggled with this as well, but it just sounds like such a justification for doing what I know is wrong. Maybe it's because my wife is a social worker, and it's those social programs being cut (not military) and so many people are deeply, fundamentally screwed by the system from the moment they are born. I get really on my high horse when people go off on "the lazy slobs on welfare" as a justification for not paying taxes, so I'm very pleased at the 2 first responses being "I don't pay taxes because half goes to the miliary" [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]