Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2007, 04:17 PM

Default Re: Am I an idiot for wanting this computer?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For $4k you're paying for a high-end cpu and graphics processor, which according your usage is overkill. The video card on that newegg machine is $800 by itself. Unless you need to play the latest games at the highest possible frame rates, I don't think you need to spend more than 1200-1500 for a high-quality machine.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. With this monster you also are going to be wasting a lot of electricity on processing power you will never use.

Hardware companies love charging huge premiums for bleeding edge processors/graphics cards that are completely unnecessary. You pay a 100%+ premium in price for a 10-20% increase in performance. For some hobbiests this is important, but for any normal user (ie you) it isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

For $1600 you can build your own INCREDIBLE beast of a machine (w/o monitor). Building a rig is not hard at all and you get to choose what goes into it, as well as learning how to work on your own rig if/when you ever encounter problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stopped short of recommending this because for people that build their own machines, a lot of the debugging that happens when hardware or software isn't working right is 2nd nature and obvious. But for somebody who doesn't have experience it can be a huge annoyance.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be cheaper and better machine, I'm just saying the process isn't as fun and easy to somebody without the experience. (Although if everything just works then it is fun and easy!)

[ QUOTE ]

Im not sure that the graphics card is great at games, it is great at running 4 displays though, and that is why it costs 800 bucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I am way behind in the hardware scene, I was just going on general knowledge of new video cards which apparently was wrong. Zeebo, how many monitors you planning on running? If you want >2 monitors, that is an important consideration.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:15 PM

I run 4 monitors on 2 cheap graphics cards. $100 a piece. Seems like a better investment. Just be sure they are the same for compatibility issues. I had problems mixing ati and nvidia.

FWIW that computer looks perfect to a baller like you zeebo. Its rock solid (and you pay a huge premium for it but whatever).
Old 11-06-2007, 02:39 AM

I am NOT trying to come off like a jerk but....if you have to ask if you'd be an idiot to order that computer, then ya, you'd be an idiot if you did.LOL! Sorry I couldn't resist. The very small percentage of people who actually need a $4,000+ computer don't have to ask if it would be dumb to buy it. They know their extreme needs and what kind of horsepower it takes to get the job done.

I'd be surprised if you couldn't do everything you want to do on a $500 Dell with a couple upgrades added on to it.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:15 AM

rich people like to buy expensive things....