Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 03:48 PM

Default Triple barrelling bare aces

What do you think about this hand? Am I donking off my money? How should I play turn and river? Both I and villain have about $60.

Full Tilt Poker
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
3 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (3 players) roggles is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Button folds, <font color="#cc0000">roggles raises to $1.5</font>, BB calls.

Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($3, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">roggles bets $3</font>, BB calls.

Turn: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($9, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">roggles bets $6</font>, BB calls.

River: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($21, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">roggles bets $12</font>
Old 09-24-2007, 04:43 PM

Default Re: Triple barrelling bare aces

the word "hate" comes to mind. if you are going to bluff, you have to bet bigger on previous streets, ie on turn dont bet 6 but at least 8 and you should be betting pot, therefore you could bet 27$ on the river.

as it is the size of these bets are not that intimidating and it looks more like value betting with this size of bet. you could well be ahead here.

do you have any reads on the opponent? cause if he is one to bluff missed draws i think a check call could be option here, but i think other will hate that

i would probably check/ maybe call/fold
Old 09-24-2007, 05:29 PM

I'd probably just check/fold the turn since there aren't a lot of draws out and one of them just got there. If I did bet the turn, I'd definitely check the river as you're never ever getting a worse hand to fold, and you're only getting a better hand to call if he's got KK. I'd still lean toward a check/fold on the river, but check/calling is better than betting.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:42 AM

def check river or bet pot
your half-pot bet is just screaming for reraise
Old 09-25-2007, 04:54 AM

I don't really understand the bet size problem here. I bet more or less exactly like I would if I actually had made a hand. Doesn't changing from my normal bet sizes scream bluff more?

When I played the hand I thought I had a good straightdraw on the turn. An unaffordable mistake. So that explains a little bit of my betting there.

About the river I thought that either it helped me a lot to make a better two pair or it was disastrous for me. I thought if I checked it he would bet it a lot for sure, so I thought I could get away cheaper by betting, but as alavet said I guess a better player would capitalize on this. Anyway I got lucky and he thought for a really long time and then folded.

I agree I played it pretty badly and put myself in a bad spot. In my normal play I think I would have check/folded turn
Old 09-25-2007, 06:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really understand the bet size problem here. I bet more or less exactly like I would if I actually had made a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you mean you usually don't get max value out of your made hands? People like to call pot pot with weak draws. You also could be giving better draws great odds. You are also not putting much pressure on your opponents and it's easier for them to repop you cheaply and put you in a tough spot. etc

Betsizing is important for achieving the results you want. You lose some tools when you bet the same amount everytime.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:13 AM

Of course I try to get max value... River pot is almost never called. I think betting the river with a made hand is usually wrong. And on the turn there is no good draw out there, so there is no draw to get max value out of.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:18 PM

This is merged so hard I'm crying.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think betting the river with a made hand is usually wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

This comment is probably worse than anything from the actual hand. Low stakes are littered with loose/passive stations. If you regularly get tricky instead of betting your hand, you're leaving a ton of value on the table.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:45 PM

I like a $9 bet on turn, and if he calls that, i prolly check fold river, without some kind of read