Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2007, 06:18 PM

Default Re: Mile run - how much time can I drop in a month?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You're old.

I like the just under 7 guess if you really dedicate yourself.

I'd probably work on improving your base. When running so few miles each week from what I've read/experienced there is much more to gain by just running more each week than adding sprint workouts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually a lot of recent data shows that you gain far more by adding sprint/interval training to your routine. Google tabata protocol for an example.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even when you have virtually no base?
Old 09-03-2007, 08:17 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by "base" although I get the point. But he clearly has the endurance to run a mile. And it looks like he specifically wants to improve his speed on the run. If so, the quickest means to improve his time is sprints and intervals. His aerobic endurance will improve and he will make gains in his speed as well.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure what you mean by "base" although I get the point. But he clearly has the endurance to run a mile. And it looks like he specifically wants to improve his speed on the run. If so, the quickest means to improve his time is sprints and intervals. His aerobic endurance will improve and he will make gains in his speed as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

His max speed in unimportant in this. His aerobic endurance is the thing holding him back.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:21 PM

AFAIK studies show that both aerobic and anaerobic endurance increase more through interval training than distance training
Old 09-03-2007, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AFAIK studies show that both aerobic and anaerobic endurance increase more through interval training than distance training

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. Links plz?

I was basing my recs based off std track style training. Long runs + short runs = best time at in between run
Old 09-03-2007, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Interesting. Links plz?

I was basing my recs based off std track style training. Long runs + short runs = best time at in between run

[/ QUOTE ]

Mostly just going off of hearsay, have only read this article which cites one study: http://www.cs.unm.edu/~wneumann/file...lla_cardio.pdf

Can be found in the "putting guerilla cardio to the test" section from page 5 to page 6.

Basically says that over a 6 week period, one group did 1 hour of moderate intensity cardio at 70% of VO2 peak 5 days a week, while the second group did 8 20 second intervals with 10 seconds of rest in between at 170 percent of VO2 peak. At the end of 6 weeks, the moderate intensity group showed a 10% increase in VO2 peak while the interval group showed a 14% increase in VO2 peak.

Obv this doesn't tell the whole story so I'm still not sure what the best way to proceed would be for el D
Old 09-03-2007, 10:02 PM

Bedroom Reading:

www.gordonpirie.com
Scroll down to "Running Fast and Injury Free"
Click on the updated version,
Click on "Download as PDF"
<Firefox> allow popups, then click "Download as PDF" again.

As for your initial question, I'm really not sure as it's not my forté, but I imagine that by training specifically for a mile run sub-7:00 is very possible.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:29 PM

Diablo,

One thing that has always worked to make me faster is racing a girl who is, on paper, just a little bit faster than me. It helps if this race happens in front of all your friends who will mock you relentlessly if you lose.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. Links plz?

[/ QUOTE ]

did you ever google tabata protocol?

Intervals are slowly taking over as the preferred method of improving both endurance and speed. And I could even go to the advantages this type of training has as far as weight loss / fat burn go, but its not relevant here.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. Links plz?

[/ QUOTE ]

did you ever google tabata protocol?

Intervals are slowly taking over as the preferred method of improving both endurance and speed. And I could even go to the advantages this type of training has as far as weight loss / fat burn go, but its not relevant here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you dense or just like to pretend you're erudite?