Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 12:52 PM

Default Re: Need Tips - Workout Advice for a Girl

FFK:

http://www.strongwomen.com/fitness.htm

I'd recommend buying one of her books...Strong Women Stay Young would probably be the best. (Although you might look through Strong Women Stay Slim and see if the extra stuff like the eating program interests you. I prefer the exercises in the original though.) The books have a lot more info than the site.

The exercises are simple and well explained, can be done at home, and ramp up assuming that you are very weak now to actual strength training. Yes you start with the 1 lb neoprene girlie weights, just until you learn proper form, and work your way up to true strength training, not that "toning" stuff.

She also specifically addresses some of your concerns about getting too bulky. It's much harder for us to "bulk up" then the guys. Even when I was being completely 100% dedicated and at my strongest, I never looked "muscular"...but when flexed my upper arm I got this great definition. I liked that. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I should start this again actually.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:13 PM

Oh, and there are lunges, for those of you that are worried.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:42 PM

FFK :

Squat, squat, squat, squat !

Squats will burn huge amounts of calories, make you stronger overall (in your abs and back), and give you an attractive muscular butt and legs. There is zero reason to worry about getting "too big" ; that doesn't just happen, you have to work very hard to get big and if you don't want to, you won't.

Good article on girls squatting :

http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/displa...le.php?aid=123

and BTW that whole web site is good for women's weight training :

http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/index.php

Here's some inspiration (small girl who does all the olympic lifts) :

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=stiznel
Old 08-29-2007, 02:13 PM

I find that Krista girl very attractive.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you get the same advice as a guy would get...shocking...

squat, deadlift, rows/pullups, presses, lunges etc...dont' always use light weights, lifting a soup can 30x is not helping you change your body comp...do the same programs we recommend to guys...use weights that are challenging...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, basically that.

Also, something nice for ladies is that putting on significant muscle size is hard. Often the first thing they say is that they don't want to wind up looking like Arnold or something. But don't worry; putting on muscle is pretty hard even for guys. You should be able to get MUCH, MUCH stronger without worrying about getting veiny shoulders or a V-shaped back or something.

If you are working out at home, using jumpstretch bands and/or kettlebells is also a very good way to get fit and stronger, and it doesn't take up a lot of room in the house. If you like something with a little grace to it, there are also clubbells, but it's hard to do that kind of thing without stepping out into the yard.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, something nice for ladies is that putting on significant muscle size is hard. Often the first thing they say is that they don't want to wind up looking like Arnold or something. But don't worry; putting on muscle is pretty hard even for guys. You should be able to get MUCH, MUCH stronger without worrying about getting veiny shoulders or a V-shaped back or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, not directed at FFK or anything, but this is definitely one of the most LOL-worthy myths among girls. All these skinny-fat housewives will say they don't want to lift weights because they don't want to get all huge and muscley. Don't f**king kid yourself beeyotch, you couldn't get huge and musclebound if you tried. They act like you walk into a gym and touch a weight and muscles magically start sprouting all over your body.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, not directed at FFK or anything, but this is definitely one of the most LOL-worthy myths among girls. All these skinny-fat housewives will say they don't want to lift weights because they don't want to get all huge and muscley. Don't f**king kid yourself beeyotch, you couldn't get huge and musclebound if you tried. They act like you walk into a gym and touch a weight and muscles magically start sprouting all over your body.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or they see girls who get "too big". Newsflash. That bitch is fat.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:40 PM

That chick is fat yo.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Starting Strength, not exactly a workout designed for a woman is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Straight from the horse's mouth:

http://www.practicalprogrammingforst...ter9sample.pdf
Old 08-29-2007, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've never posted in this forum before. I'm hoping some of you guys can give me advice. Size-wise, I'm small enough - let's say goal weight, and I'm pretty short as well, 5'3. I'm interested in becoming stronger, for two main reasons: to look better naked and to burn more calories. I also just want to be healthier and have more endurance in general.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your goals aren't quite clear to me.

Being stronger won't necessarily make you burn more calories or look better naked. Getting stronger is a function of your central nervous system becoming more efficient. Getting stronger will not make you burn more calories unless you also gain muscle mass. That's why body builders can eat 5,000 calories a day and still have ridiculously low bodyfat. Someone who lifts purely for strength, like a powerlifter, does not burn many calories during their lifts or while resting. I find it weird that you list burning more calories as a goal in and of itself. Is maybe that another way of saying that you want to lower your body fat? Also when you that you want to get stronger so that you look better naked, do you actually mean that you want to look a little more muscular? Being stronger does not necessarily correlate with being more muscular or looking better naked. In fact, someone can greatly increase their strength while looking virtually identical on the outside.

So if you explain a little bit better about what your looking for, I can give you better advice about what to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude you know what she meant, stop trying to sound smart.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blow me. Stop trying to sound like you aren't trying to sound smart.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you'd like me to blow you, you're going to have to give me a better indication of what you mean. "To blow" is a verb that can mean several things: would you like me to direct a stream of air onto you? spend you frivolously? Or would you like me to perform fellatio on you? If you explain a little bit better what you meant, maybe I can be of more help to you.