Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 03:25 PM

Default Re: things that you\'re unnecessarily ocd about

[ QUOTE ]
everytime i read threads like this i am absolutely blown away by the stuff you guys do. i am convinced that the posters on here do waaaaaaaay more crazy stuff than the average person on the street.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reasons for this should be clear. Having OCD tendencies is a rich man's game. Not saying everyone here is rolling in it, but the average person on the street is going to be much more likely to be eating paycheck to paycheck - does that guy have any time to be OCD?

For example, Sponger - white, young, college-aged guy with a lot of free time - and has 8 nailclippers. Now picture Joe Factory Worker doing this.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:26 PM

On thread topic, I get really paranoid when I use the stove. Once I turn it off I will wait until it cools and then put my hands on each burner to make sure they're off, and then repeat this for like three minutes until I'm completely sure.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I do the air-typing thing as well, over and over. Sometimes I'm pretty sure I made a typo and I'll have to use vi (unix editor) codes to erase and restart. And the screen has to be empty for it to count (must start with a cleared screen in my head).

I also acronymize sentences I hear or say. If I spoke or heard the sentence before this one, I would say 'IAASIHOS' in my head. I've gotten pretty fast at this obviously.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I see a particularly good grouping of letters on a sign, I'll try to anagram it. When I go to the movies I think about Regal Glare Lager. Red Robin = Rob Diner = Brine Rod. My co-worker has a monitor by some brand "Sceptre", and I was pleased when I found "respect". I'm not very good at it, and I consciously try and get better, which is perhaps the weirdest of all.

[/ QUOTE ]

i do this, too, with street signs, some of my favorites:

canton medical center -- cannot claimed recent
mobil -- limbo
fitness center -- infests recent
cedar point -- pointed car -- pirated con -- cored paint -- raced pinto
roller coaster -- rooster caller
charter one -- tone archer
etc...
Old 08-21-2007, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol. i in fact did not know that. interesting, interesting...

[/ QUOTE ]

What's cool is you can keep summing them till you end up with a 1 digit number

Is 15,984,849 divisible by 3?
15,984,849: 1 + 5 + 9 + 8 + 4 + 8 + 4 + 9 = 48
48: 4 + 8 = 12
12: 1 + 2 = 3
3 is divisible by 3, therefore 15,984,849 is too
15,984,849 / 3 = 5,328,283
Old 08-21-2007, 04:45 PM

I love wearing watches, but I only rarely wear them anymore because of the weird things I do. If I check the time on my watch, I MUST check my cell phone to see whether or not my watch time was actually the correct time. For a while I would just wear the watch and never use it to tell time, but people would always ask me why I even wore a watch if I just used my cell phone. I always replied that I just like watches, and they always gave me a weird look. I feel crazier just typing that out.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel crazier just typing that out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to this thread. Haha.

Sciolist, yeah, I guess that is the point of OCD. But it still seems weird when it is something that APPEARS simple (volume on the tv) as opposed to something that appears complicated (anagraming signs and stuff).
Old 08-21-2007, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm anal about the binding of my books. I think it spawned from my love for comic books and how I liked keeping them in good condition. I spaz whenever I see a book binding bent/broken.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I don't lend books out, and why I could never buy used books at school. The creases in the binding would make me crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are there really this many people that are crazy about their books? I mean, if I go into someone's house and see a bookshelf full of books that look like they've never been read, i'm going to assume that they've never been read. I'm not saying go around [censored] your books up on purpose, but if they get a little wear and tear on them, so what?

I can understand if people do this with 1st edition copies of certain books, or more rare books, but my sister does this with every book that passes through her hands. If she catches me reading one and there's a crease or fold anywhere, she goes apeshit insane on me, which drives me up the [censored] wall.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha I was waiting for you to show up here
Old 08-22-2007, 09:27 AM

Not too awful, considering some of the shithouse rat insane things already mentioned, but my big thing is twisted phone cords. Home... office... hotel... friend's house... doesn't matter. If I walk by a phone cord that's even a little bit twisted, I fell an overwhelming, base need to pick the receiver up and twist it back to untwisted state. Or unplug the cord, make it straight, and plug it back in.

I do this to my co-workers' phones in their cubicles too. Sometimes I have to mentally restrain myself if I'm in a meeting or whatever, so I don't interrupt whomever is speaking or presenting, etc. by suddenly reaching to the conference phone and untwisting the cord. And once I notice it, it drives me crazy until I can fix it.

Wow... typed out it sounds a lot weirder than I thought it would.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:54 AM

Location: it\'s like a puzzle with pans, if you think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
My mom has a bizarre one she's had since about age 5 and she calls it "counting". Basically she uses the numbers 1 through 8 and each one has a certain 'weight'. The weight is not based on the number itself but rather how many strokes it takes to draw the number. So a 1 weighs one because it's a single stroke. A 2 weighs two, a 3 weighs two, a 4 weighs three, etc. An 8 is one but can be made a two by drawing two circles instead of with a single "figure-eight" stroke (however that is not optimal).

She then "assigns" these numbers (1 through 8) to random things and then based on the weights the object(s) must balance (as if on a fulcrum or something).

So a basic example would be a picture hanging on the wall and she would assign numbers to the corners, then the sides, and then have to envision based on the weights that the picture would still hang correctly and not tilt to one side. A single picture is just a basic example, she can do it to several objects at once in an entire room. It is worth bonus points for her to get to 16 and it is ultimate feng shui for her to get to 32. She designs every room in her house around this concept. If the "count" is wrong she will rearrange the room.

[/ QUOTE ]

i do this too.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
everytime i read threads like this i am absolutely blown away by the stuff you guys do. i am convinced that the posters on here do waaaaaaaay more crazy stuff than the average person on the street.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reasons for this should be clear. Having OCD tendencies is a rich man's game. Not saying everyone here is rolling in it, but the average person on the street is going to be much more likely to be eating paycheck to paycheck - does that guy have any time to be OCD?

For example, Sponger - white, young, college-aged guy with a lot of free time - and has 8 nailclippers. Now picture Joe Factory Worker doing this.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this is the wrong reason. I think that most people have OCD to some extent, but the people who have it worst are probably going to spend more time on computers. I can't really articulate why I think that though. Perhaps people who have OCD like systems, and people who like systems tend to be men, and tend to be men who spend time on computers?