Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 02:45 PM

Default **Official uNL/SSNL Coaching Thread**

There are many posters in both forums who are interested in getting a coach. And there are many posters in these forums who have been coached on their road to NL excellence. Because 2p2 doesn't allow coaches to publicly seek out students, we need a place for students to find out about certain coaches.

This thread is for players who have been coached to post reviews of their coaching experience.

This thread will be heavily moderated. Here is what will be allowed...

Students:

We want to hear from you. And we need you so we can start up a discussion of coaching. Please let us know how your coaching experience went. Please include as much info as possible. Try to include:

1. Who was your coach?
2. What did he charge?
3. How many lessons did you receive?
4. How did the lessons work and what tools did your coach use? (skype, hh review, sweating, etc.)
5. Comment on your experience with this coach. (what you liked, didn't like)
6. Would you recommend this coach to a fellow 2p2'er?
7. General comments you'd like to share.

COACHES:

Don't just pop in here and post about your coaching services. Posts like that will be deleted. You are only allowed to respond to a student's review if your name was mentioned.

1. Quote the post where you are mentioned.
2. Correct any factual errors
3. Correct any info that is no longer current (rate is different now, now use skype, etc)
4. General comments in response to the student's review.

Others/Spectators/Potential Students:

Go ahead and ask questions of the people who post reviews. Detailed inquiries with any coaches who find this thread should probably take place via pm.

So students, please help your fellow 2p2'ers with as much detail as possible about your coaching experience. Be honest and be respectful if your experience was negative. And again, this thread will be heavily moderated and it will be shut down if coaches don't follow the rules or if it gets off track.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:56 PM

Default Re: **Official uNL/SSNL Coaching Thread**

***let's try to keep things on track as long as possible**

--aj
Old 10-08-2007, 02:57 PM

I got coaching from BobboFitos.

He charged $100/hour but that was soon increased to $125/hour and eventually $150/hour (I believe he currently charges $200/hour due to an increase in demand).

I recieved 14 lessons, all on different aspects of the game (flop/turn/river play, equity, headsup, bet sizing, headsup, etc).

We used AIM and the lessons usually took an hour. He would go through an explanation on the days lesson and spend time discussing a hand or two of mine. I was also able to send him HHs via pm to get his opinion.

I enjoyed Bobbo's structure. It was definitely different than coaches I've had in the past, where sweating was used via AIM or skype. He focused more on theoretical aspects instead of just straight sweating. Sometimes our schedules were a bit off and we wouldn't be able to do sessions within a few weeks, but overall it was a good experience.

I would recommend him to other 2p2ers. I think that he helped me alot in developing a more positionally aware PF game (and unit me a little bit :P).
Old 10-08-2007, 03:05 PM

WiltOnTilt - $200/hour

Been with him for a month now, getting 4 hours/week. So far we've done sweat sessions using skype and teamviewer, but he'll do anything you want (i should probably look into doing a HH review).

One thing I learnt about coaches is that alot of them do it for the money, and you need to try and find that rare coach who genuinely cares about his students - wilt is definitely one of these coaches. Examples of this are:

- has a forum where students post hands then him (and on occasion jsnipes) make very good responses to them
- extra time
- homework excerises where we discuss hands he has played (we get an insight into higher stake games)
- very flexible scheduling

like he says on his blog 'My goal is to be the best low-mid stakes NL coach out there for the price.'

The thing I like most about him is that he'll go above and beyond what's expected from him to see his students succeed. He also does an excellent job at explaining and teaching concepts.

I definitely recommend him.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:10 PM

ive had orange coach me...
he charged 50 an hour which i thought and still think is a steal.

we did sweats over aim. prolly like 10 in all. and then i was allowed to send him infinate many hands any time basically and we would talk about those for free. again a sick deal obv

i would highly recomend him. he is chilled out and knows his stuff. great for fundamental play abc tag poker and getting a good fundamental for beating 100 and 200nl for a nice solid clip. imo prolly one of the best all around deals u could find.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:47 PM

basically ditto to everything Orange said about BobboFitos. I'm in the middle of of his course, and he has helped me tremendously. He def goes about coaching in a different manner - there are no sweat sessions involved, rather you do a series of ~ 1 hour AIM discussions on a variety of subjects (aggression, pf play, balance etc...). It helped me understand WHY we want to take certain actions rather than just learning what to do in a given spot.

I have also done sweat sessions with Maulik in the past...he is def very solid and his rates are a very good value IMO (I think he is at $80/hr).
Old 10-08-2007, 06:51 PM

i had orange coach me for $50/hr, which is a great deal.

i second everything kaz said, he's a great coach and the 50/hr is a steal. he sweated me over aim/skype and i could send him hands at anytime which he gave me his input on.

i would definitely recommend him because he knows his stuff and is very good at teaching it to you. his only knock is that hes a florida fan (auburn fan here), but hes accepted the fact that auburn owns them.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:08 PM

I have been coached, although it was a while ago.

1. Who was your coach?
I got coached by Cero_Z. I was his first student.

2. What did he charge?
At the time, it was 150$/session. I dont know what his current rate is, since this was ~2ish years ago.

3. How many lessons did you receive?
I believe I received 5 or 6.

4. How did the lessons work and what tools did your coach use? (skype, hh review, sweating, etc.)
We spoke over the phone. Technically the lessons were supposed to be an hour, but each one lasted closer to 2 hours.

5. Comment on your experience with this coach. (what you liked, didn't like)
I loved the sessions with Cero. We spoke about some unorthodox plays, some plays that should be routine but aren't, breached the subject on live tells (I learned alot more from this then most would imagine), and really zoned in on hand reading.

6. Would you recommend this coach to a fellow 2p2'er?
Aside from myself ( [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ) without a doubt. Cero is also a very good human being.

7. General comments you'd like to share.
I think Cero has a system now as well, (teaching outline) since when we had our lessons it was free-flowing. ("What would you like to talk about"). For the amount I paid I def. got the value back + alot more.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:25 PM

I was coached by shootaa, hes really nasty at the game and is awsome if you are trying to learn 200 or MSNL, he really understands the game dynamic well and can help you make/understand advanced plays.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:26 PM

1) I was coached by pasterbator

2) No idea what he charges now but my deal was staking+ coaching so it was a % of my winnings

3) Probably got like 6 or 7 structured theory lessons, + he looked at all my trouble hands (that i saved during each session) every few days.

4) Used AIM for the coaching

5) My experience was great, he spent more time w/ me on AIM than i expected and i cant remember a single question i had that he didnt have a good answer for.

6) I def. recommend him to any 2p2er, esp. small stakes players looking to improve and make it to MSNL.

7) The best part about the coaching was that i learned how to think about the game, rather than how to beat a certain level. I feel like it has helped me immensely adjusting to each new level, from .5/1 all the way to 5/10.

I would also like to say that i lived in LV w/ bobbofitos and he sweated a few of my sessions live and he def. knows a ton about the game and talking poker w/ him helped my game a lot.
Closed Thread