No, they deserve your sentiments 61 41.50%
Not sure 39 26.53%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-09-2007, 04:09 PM

Default Re: Strange Question for ACists and libertarians

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I generally don't involve myself with such brainless people, but if I do I'll try to make them understand, but only if it's pleasant for myself as well, which is obviously the whole philosophy (no self-sacrifice and such).

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's vote on what Nielso is trying to say here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a combination of the first 3 with the added largest component "We ACists would never leave our computers because we're too tied up in fantasy games".

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah i could see guys like mosdef playing World of Warcraft but getting killed over and over because he refused to attack the angry boars in the forest.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I voted option 1. I love the national anthem. I think it's very moving. At the time it was penned the banner represented the fight against oppressive government, and was not a symbol of it. That's how I interpret it.

I will NOT, however, pledge allegiance to a [censored] piece of cloth. I can't even understand how a patriotic statist can buy into that. WTF? It's ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

For the history buffs out there, note that the current "salute" of placing your hand over your heart was not the salute that the author of the pledge originally intended.

Francis Bellamy, you're a true american hero!

[/ QUOTE ]

You're fond of posting that but the pledge was published on September 7, 1892. That's a while before 1933, so the Nazi comparisons seem a little off.

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't suggesting that it was copied from the nazis. Vice versa, actually.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I voted option 1. I love the national anthem. I think it's very moving. At the time it was penned the banner represented the fight against oppressive government, and was not a symbol of it. That's how I interpret it.

I will NOT, however, pledge allegiance to a [censored] piece of cloth. I can't even understand how a patriotic statist can buy into that. WTF? It's ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

For the history buffs out there, note that the current "salute" of placing your hand over your heart was not the salute that the author of the pledge originally intended.

Francis Bellamy, you're a true american hero!

[/ QUOTE ]

You're fond of posting that but the pledge was published on September 7, 1892. That's a while before 1933, so the Nazi comparisons seem a little off.

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't suggesting that it was copied from the nazis. Vice versa, actually.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like the assembly line and heavier-than-air flight? What's your point?
Old 08-09-2007, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I generally don't involve myself with such brainless people, but if I do I'll try to make them understand, but only if it's pleasant for myself as well, which is obviously the whole philosophy (no self-sacrifice and such).

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's vote on what Nielso is trying to say here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a combination of the first 3 with the added largest component "We ACists would never leave our computers because we're too tied up in fantasy games".

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah i could see guys like mosdef playing World of Warcraft but getting killed over and over because he refused to attack the angry boars in the forest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive only watched a friend of mine play WoW, but she never showed me any French speaking wizards I guess they werent powerful enough for anyone she played to use. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-09-2007, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Like the assembly line and heavier-than-air flight? What's your point?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a good illustration of the dangers of blind nationalism. And the pledge is very nationalistic.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As a veteran I also hope he pulls that in the midst of a group of veterans and they teach him a life long lesson about the practical limits of free speech.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good to see your true neo-con colors showing!

Edited to add: I admire you for fighting for your beliefs, distasteful as they may be. However, I would certainly never ask you or anyone else to travel to the nether corners of the earth to get shot at for ME...so let's not act like you did, kthx.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As a veteran I also hope he pulls that in the midst of a group of veterans and they teach him a life long lesson about the practical limits of free speech.

[/ QUOTE ]

Edited to add: I admire you for fighting for your beliefs, distasteful as they may be. However, I would certainly never ask you or anyone else to travel to the nether corners of the earth to get shot at for ME...so let's not act like you did, kthx.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what the "lets not act like you did" means, but whether you asked or not, you are in the enviable position of not having to ask. It gets done for you, while you can sit back and act like youre superior for "not asking". I'm still in favor of mandatory service with alternatives, but this board makes it very tempting to favor a military draft again. Some people need to learn that freedom has a big price instead of letting them sit and play their video games.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm still in favor of mandatory service with alternatives, but this board makes it very tempting to favor a military draft again. Some people need to learn that freedom has a big price

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, you want to enslave part of the population so that they can earn their freedom. Silly me, I thought freedom was something you had a right to, not something licensed out by the state.
[ QUOTE ]
instead of letting them sit and play their video games.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, putting them in foreign lands to uphold the petrodollar and control oil through toppling leaders that don't bow to US foreign policy and replacing them with puppet dictators has a lot to do with freedom. "Let them sit and play their video games" hahaha, your age is showing.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure what the "lets not act like you did" means, but whether you asked or not, you are in the enviable position of not having to ask. It gets done for you, while you can sit back and act like youre superior for "not asking". I'm still in favor of mandatory service with alternatives, but this board makes it very tempting to favor a military draft again. Some people need to learn that freedom has a big price instead of letting them sit and play their video games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would totally agree with this... if it weren't for the fact that very rarely is the military used to protect our freedom.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Arbeit macht frei