Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2007, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Best Films of the 21st Century

[ QUOTE ]
I feel I should contribute, but I genuinely haven't seen that many films from this century [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont start with Lost in Translation. Its borderline unwatchable and will turn you off to the rest of the list.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not the films, and it's not the people who give them a fair chance. It's you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said it wasn't me? I AM the one who hates subtitles and I AM the one who has an unenjoyable time trying to deal with movies that have them. I will spend the rest of my life very happily avoiding them. I just used "foreign" as an example. There are plenty of in english "artistic" films that I would consider pure torture to watch (ie Lost in Translation). On the other hand I have watched (at least partially) Larry the Cable Guy - Health Inspector 3 times in the past week or so. If you like really sophmoric humor it's one of the best ever!

Maybe I'm not the best judge [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2007, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The average guy makes shows like Gimme a Break etc. ad nauseam big hits

[/ QUOTE ]

Not any more. When 3 networks could cram whatever they wanted up your ass maybe. But now there are too many choices for the pure crap to survive. So the networks go cheap and shove a bunch of moronic reality TV up your ass instead. It's pure crap too but it's cost efficient for them now that they are losing share to hundred different alternatives.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's a lot of great films already listed.
I'm kind of suprised I havent seen these 3 mentioned in this thread yet, that would be in my top 5:

Gladiator
Downfall (Untergang, Der)
The Pianist

[/ QUOTE ]
learn to read the [censored] thread then because i mentioned downfall in my post.

but i will not be a good contribution to the lounge
Old 08-25-2007, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's not the films, and it's not the people who give them a fair chance. It's you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said it wasn't me? I AM the one who hates subtitles and I AM the one who has an unenjoyable time trying to deal with movies that have them. I will spend the rest of my life very happily avoiding them. I just used "foreign" as an example. There are plenty of in english "artistic" films that I would consider pure torture to watch (ie Lost in Translation). On the other hand I have watched (at least partially) Larry the Cable Guy - Health Inspector 3 times in the past week or so. If you like really sophmoric humor it's one of the best ever!

Maybe I'm not the best judge [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you were characterizing negatively people who give foreign films a shot, and implying they weren't somehow keeping it real in the fiel, right? Snobbery, whatever? I was just trying to get across that liking foreign flicks doesn't make you a snob or off kilter in some ways. There are plenty of junk foreign films(though having to hop the pond winnows a whole lot of them out), but plenty of good ones too. Looking for good foreign films is about being someone who wants to see lots of good movies, not someone who wants to lord it over someone that they, ahem, saw a movie. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] (It doesn't take a genius to go to Blockbuster, right?) There are good American films too. You just have a better chance of seeing more good films per year if look in more places. Not a high stakes gamble really. With Netflix or Blockbuster online rentals, I can just try again pretty much for free if I bump into a dud.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The average guy makes shows like Gimme a Break etc. ad nauseam big hits

[/ QUOTE ]

Not any more. When 3 networks could cram whatever they wanted up your ass maybe. But now there are too many choices for the pure crap to survive. So the networks go cheap and shove a bunch of moronic reality TV up your ass instead. It's pure crap too but it's cost efficient for them now that they are losing share to hundred different alternatives.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like you say, though, it's still crap. As a viewer, I couldn't care less how much it costs them, just that it's crap.

FWIW though, there's still plenty of crap drama and comedy around too.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:09 PM

Another thumbs up for 'Rabbit-proof Fence'.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
oldboy
sympathay for mr vengeance

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it's strange to list these but not Lady Vengeance. For me, it was the best of the three, even though I'll probably rewatch Oldboy more often. Have you seen Lady Vengeance, KKF (or anyone), and what did you think?
Old 08-25-2007, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
10. Match Point
9. Brick
8. Maria Full of Grace
7. Downfall
6. Lost in Translation
5. Before Sunset
4. Children of Men
3. Capturing the Friedmans
2. The Lives of Others
1. City of God

[/ QUOTE ]

Where have you been? I always enjoyed your posts on films. Actually, it was your avatar and vivid description that caused me to buy Le Samourai sight unseen. Good call on that one.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:26 PM

No love for The Royal Tenenbaums here eh?