Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2007, 11:06 PM

Default Cookies Powerlifting Log

Could be fun to see if I could get any input on my training here...

All numbers will be in kilogram
Stats
BW: 90'ish
Raw maxes
Squat: 135
Bench: 115
Deadlift: 170 or 172,5, cant remember

Training maxes equipped
Squat: 210 to parallel
Bench: 170
Deadlift: 190

Competition maxes
Squat: 180
Bench: 155
Deadlift: 180

Im competing in DSF which is part of IPF.

My main goal with my training is to get a danish junior record in the bench at some point, hopefully. Need to beat 195 in the weight class Im in now. but only need to top 180 in the 82,5 kg class.

My training so far this week

Monday
Fully equipped squat (suit, belt, wraps...)
3x150 far from under parallel
2x170 closer
1x185 Good lift
1x200 Tighter knee wraps, far from under.

Bench
3x80
1x100
1x110
0x120

7 boards
3x120
3x140

Wedneysday
Bench + chains + 5 boards
5x80
5x90
3x100
3x110
3x120
3x3x110
same setup, but with a bit shorter chains
3x95
3x100
3x105
Chest Supported Rows
7x8x35

Facepulls
3x15x15

2 sets of light curls
Old 04-26-2007, 12:05 AM

Default Re: Cookies Powerlifting Log

I don't know if you're strong enough to have to worry about bands/chains/etc. Usually its best to stick to the simplest method that gets gains.

Sick skillz with squat suit and shirt BTW.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if you're strong enough to have to worry about bands/chains/etc. Usually its best to stick to the simplest method that gets gains.

Sick skillz with squat suit and shirt BTW.

[/ QUOTE ]

durka durka durka

"All numbers will be in kilogram"[sic]

Thremp, multiply by 2.2 to convert to pounds and then suggest that the OP is too weak in the weight class he is in to use more advanced methods such as bands and chains. Also let me know when you put up those numbers.

OP, Nice log... I think its a welcome addition, in contrast to the other numerous training logs, to have different goals than most other posters in it for weight management, etc.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:36 AM

Umm...

Here's in terms of BW:

Squat: 1.5x
Bench: 1.27x
Deadlift: 1.88x
BW: 198

Me:

Squat: 1.37x
Bench: 1.19x
Deadlift: 2.02x
BW: 171

Guids (guesstimation since I don't wanna look it up):

Squat: ~2.1x
Bench: ~1.5x
Deadlift: ~3x

If you look at his total compared to mine and adjusted for weight class (he's not absurdly heavy so at this level its fairly linear), you can clearly see his total of 4.65xBW is not much different from mine of 4.58xBW Obviously he needs to become skilled with his gear, which makes it necessary to do some of the activities such as board presses etc, but it seems his base strength is a little low to go fully toward the westside for methodology.

Cookie,

I didn't mean to dissuade you from putting a log etc, but you're getting absurd gains from your gear and it seems you likely could work on your raw stuff and build up quicker than you could working on more PL specific stuff with your shirts etc on. I still can't get over the 50ish% gains your gear is giving you. Wow.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:49 AM

In competition how low do you have to go on squats to get credit?

And from your post I think you aren't even going past parallel??? Why not train past parallel and if you need to cheat on competition day, do so.

Also, does that equipment alter your form? Does it change the amount certain muscles are used in some way?
Old 04-26-2007, 12:54 AM

TBK,

1) Parallel.
2/3) He can handle.
4) Yes.
5) Yes.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:08 AM

Thremp,

-OP's age is 21... I do not think I would be off in wagering that the OP does not have decades of serious training under his belt; as such those numbers are more impressive

-OP's data... I understand the increases related to wearing a suit, etc but 50%... I am curious when he last maxed out raw. I felt his comment with regards to not remembering the exact deadlift raw supported this that very possibly it has been some time (and the suit, as with anyone, may be something of a placebo; he may be unwilling to push without it)

-I am aware of no magical bench total at which point band/chain work cross into being acceptable. Do you have such a number?

-And again as per my comments above. His squat and deadlift are not even close in comparison to a pretty impressive bench (competition/geared numbers I am refering to). OP was talking about focusing on benching (not that I agree with that concept or think that he couldnt improve weaker areas; deadlift). You are again giving personal advice and opinions to individuals who lift more than you and likely have more experience in powerlifting than you.

OP,
Again, thanks for posting this. I am curious as to your height, last time you went without any gear for maxs on these lifts, and the ammount of time you have been training. Regardless congrats. With respect to information please continue posting here (I'd like to read your log especially immediately before a competition) but I feel most powerlifting forums would offer more quality advice on this less general subject.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:35 AM

Rearden,

1) I'm 22. Your comments reinforce why he shouldn't be on this program not for it.
2) Its true, regardless they're rather low.
3) Neither am I, but I assume most people are able to achieve a larger bench before specialization.
4) Once again lifting more is pretty immaterial yet you continue to bring up straw man arguments. I showed above how much stronger he was than me vs someone who is slightly older and competed in powerlifting.

As an aside. If you want to focus on purely bench, metal militia is likely a better source than EliteFTS or Westside.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And from your post I think you aren't even going past parallel??? Why not train past parallel and if you need to cheat on competition day, do so.

[/ QUOTE ]
For the record, I'm not telling him he should or shouldn't, just asking why he doesn't.

What are the reasons/considerations.

Also, he's goddamned strong.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In competition how low do you have to go on squats to get credit?

[/ QUOTE ]
Under parallel, this is one of the important differences between WPO and IPF
Suit was simply too tight to go below parallel with less than 185 on the bar

Ill get some brakefast and return to answer some more stuff