Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2007, 06:32 PM

Default Still learning, Aces get me again!

Don't know where I went wrong or even if this is ok. Any suggestions appreciated on any part of my play! Thanks!

Full Tilt Poker
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $1/$2
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $283.50
UTG+1: $181.30
CO: $120.75
Button: $538.05
SB: $18.50
Hero: $509.50

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises to $7</font>, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $35</font>, UTG+1 calls, CO folds, <font color="#cc0000">SB calls all-in $11.5</font>.

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($95.5, 2 players + 1 all-in - Main pot: $62.5, Sidepot 1: $33)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $95.5</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises all-in $146.3</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($388.1, 1 player + 2 all-in - Main pot: $62.5, Sidepot 1: $325.6)

River: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($388.1, 1 player + 2 all-in - Main pot: $62.5, Sidepot 1: $325.6)

Results:
Final pot: $388.1
Old 05-26-2007, 07:00 PM

Default Re: Still learning, Aces get me again!

I always hate playing AA like this. In a multiway pot...that has been 3bet pre, I usually play AA extremely cautiously,and usually will c/f alot of unimproved flops. Boards I will continue to fire at would be like 449 something like that, with the J9 out there + the diamonds, there is going to be a ton of diamond draws and straight draws here and you basically need your one pair to hold up against all this EVEN if you are ahead at the moment. I really really like checking this flop. Also, I would think it would be painfully obv to the opponent that you have AAxx and he is only calling preflop to crack you overplaying them, which I think you did. One pair with no draws arn't going to hold up in omaha, especially vs two players (albeit one is all in).
Old 05-26-2007, 07:32 PM

it's fine. u lose

i usually wouldn't 3bet pre in this spot, but no big deal
Old 05-26-2007, 07:32 PM

this seems pretty standard. check folding flop is insanity.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i usually wouldn't 3bet pre in this spot, but no big deal

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
check folding flop is insanity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed!
Old 05-26-2007, 07:41 PM

Why is 3betting bad preflop? Also, what is calling or shoving our psb on the flop that we like?
Old 05-27-2007, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is 3betting bad preflop? Also, what is calling or shoving our psb on the flop that we like?

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you're 3betting all the time, it gives away your hand and it makes it easy for your opponents to play the flop perfectly; you'd prefer to get more of your stack in with a 3bet.
On the flop you will get called by various types of draws, as well as one pair+draw hands against which you're not in bad shape. Of course you'll also get called by hands which have you crushed and it's not a flop you can be too excited about but overall you have to bite the bullet here.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:48 PM

I think I might 3-bet from the blinds &lt; 0.5% of my hands. Why build a pot in the worst possible position when you'll be called by a wide range of hands?

Also, it telegraphs your hand, as only the LAGgiest players will 3-bet like a double suited connected hand out of position. If I had the button, I'd 3-bet all day and with a wide range, but I don't want to build big pots out of position with almost any hand, including all but the very best AAxx combinations.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:49 PM

Depending on who the intitial raiser was and my read on him, I'd be 3betting a much wider range than simple AAXX. While Im usually content to just call the raise with a decent hand, with any suited connecting hands (5678ds and such) I'd be putting in a reraise from the BB here. Its sort of a squeeze play and if you are doing this you'll solely be put on AAxx which is a huge advantage post flop. Also, if you can get the intitial raiser preflop to fold...you'll be able to just take down the pot preflop a pretty good % of the time.

Also Bavid...shouldn't you want to build a pot preflop oop here to negate the positional advantage by making the effective stacks sizes smaller on the flop? Especially with a hand that figures to be the best hand preflop?