Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2007, 04:21 PM

Default 5/10 NL live two pair OOP on monotone flop

Foxwoods 5/10, 10-handed.

Haven't played with villain very long but he seems decent, probably sees me as decent too.

Villain has 2000, I cover.

I am in SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

Preflop
All fold to villain on the button and he limps in. I complete and BB checks.

Flop (35): T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I lead out for 25, BB folds, and villain raises to 75. I call.

Turn (185): 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I bet 125. Seemed like a good idea at the time. He calls.

River (435): 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I check. Villain thinks for quite a while and bets 275. Should I be folding here because he could have a busted spade draw but not enough? Does the long pause before he bets make a bluff a lot less likely? But how many hands could he be valubetting here?
Old 11-01-2007, 04:31 PM

Default Re: 5/10 NL live two pair OOP on monotone flop

id go as far to assume he could value bet top pair here. your line looks like a draw that is strong, maybe K 10 blocking the turn.

im not sure though cause i havent played that high, only up to 2-5 live so take it for what its worth
Old 11-03-2007, 06:56 PM

I think he is raising this flop with a naked flush draw more often than not. The fact he flat calls the turn, and that you check the river it almost makes it seem like you have to call his river bet. If you lead and he raises its different.

The straight draw does get there if he has a random six, but you obviously know that. Its close, but I probably fold bc I'm a nit.

I do find that a long pause indicates they have the goods more often than when someone bets quickly without as much pause/thought.

Results?
Old 11-03-2007, 08:32 PM

I'd usually fold to the $50 flop raise. OOP with this kind of 2-pair hand with no spade is usually a slightly ahead or way behind situation that has a lot of reverse implied odds. I think you probably do better in the long run just letting it go when somebody with position on you makes a big raise.

But let's assume you had a set of 7s. In that case, I'd bet out, call the raise, bet/fold the turn for about half the pot, and then bet/fold the river for as little as I think I could bet without screaming "blocking bet, please raise me!" So, I suppose bet/fold the river would be better here than check/fold (giving up when you are ahead too often) or check/call (paying too much when you are behind).