Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 09:22 AM

Default Re: Would you be willing to name your horses?

[ QUOTE ]
im staked by timex for the sole purpose of running like 96% of timex stakees, that is.....like god.

[/ QUOTE ]

in that case, can i get in?

kidding of course

but seriously
Old 08-21-2007, 09:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Some people just aren't comfortable putting x amount of dollars into a tournament even if it is well within their bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people keep their poker bankrolls and their life bankrolls very separate.

[/ QUOTE ]
Eh, what?
Old 08-21-2007, 09:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Eh, what?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm talking about not playing with money that is a life cushion. Folks who have mortgages, car payments, children college funds, medical expenses, etc., need to set aside far more than their immediate needs for those things.

Maybe folks don't remember unemployment of 13% and prime rates of what, 13-15%, and what living in the U.S. was actually like from, say, 1978-1982. Not very relevant to backing and staking, I know, but given current developments in parts of the U.S. (including where I live), preservation of a significant life bankroll (e.g. 12 months living expenses) is pretty important.

When the housing market tanks with the consumer market, you're looking at a recessionary economy. I've got three homes on my block in foreclosure right now (in a brand new subdivision), which, if anything, is a lesson in life bankroll management.

Okay, sorry for straying so far off topic, but thought that deserved some explanation. [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
Old 08-21-2007, 10:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Some people just aren't comfortable putting x amount of dollars into a tournament even if it is well within their bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Eh, what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Like Raymer before winning the WSOP, I have a deal with my wife that I don't gamble any money outside of my poker bankroll. It gives her a comfort level with my poker playing, and I don't mind abiding by that. So I keep all my poker money online or in my local cardroom security box. I occasionally withdraw a small bit from my online roll when I want to "cash-in" a bit. I haven't deposited since the original $500 I put in Party back in 2004.

-Z
Old 08-21-2007, 11:24 AM

btw my honest opinion of why bax/sheets stakes bad players. I want to preface this with that this is totally opinion and therefore should be take with a grain salt:
They stake players that are small winners online, and back them in WPT's etc or whatever the hell else the backee would do. Most of these players are certainly -EV in these tournaments but the reason they're backed in them is to create a giant makeup hole. The whole concept of being staked by bax/sheets is that you should never be able to leave once you're in. This way they have an increasingly larger and larger team of players. I also think one of the important side reasons of this is because Bax really really really likes the notoriety and popularity. He really enjoys everyone knowing who he is and that he's a "someone" in the poker world. Its much more of a +glory thing then +$$$ to me.
/end rant

PS. from everything i've heard and from his online persona, I'm sure sheets is a great guy.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Eh, what?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm talking about not playing with money that is a life cushion. Folks who have mortgages, car payments, children college funds, medical expenses, etc., need to set aside far more than their immediate needs for those things.

[/ QUOTE ]
You misunderstood me, I take it for granted that every poker player who talks about "bankroll" has a separate poker bankroll. Otherwise, you're obviously displaying horrible BR management.

I take it that is what Bakes meant as well (poker bankroll), otherwise I would obviously understand being scared to play with life bankroll...which is just stupid.

Edit: horrible BR management or just getting into poker/playing microstakes, but I feel that is beyond what we're discussing here.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
120k was shipped in by a yellowsubmarine on sunday....amirite??

[/ QUOTE ]

take that timex!

[/ QUOTE ]

didnt i see u on tv this morning?
Old 08-21-2007, 12:36 PM

maybe i am just stupid but i keep all my cash in my bankroll. i take out money when i need it.

I also dont see the point of being stacked. If i feel i am +ev in a tournament why would i want to give away my winnings to someone else.

I also feel like if i'm not bankrolled for a tournament online then i'm probably not good enough to play it.

Now that i'm wanting to play some live events i've just started qualifying online by buying in direct to the "last stage satalite" which generally seem to usually be a really low standard of play since there are so many satallite entries.

Backing just doesn't make much sense to me.

Pez
Old 08-21-2007, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
btw my honest opinion of why bax/sheets stakes bad players. I want to preface this with that this is totally opinion and therefore should be take with a grain salt:
They stake players that are small winners online, and back them in WPT's etc or whatever the hell else the backee would do. Most of these players are certainly -EV in these tournaments but the reason they're backed in them is to create a giant makeup hole. The whole concept of being staked by bax/sheets is that you should never be able to leave once you're in. This way they have an increasingly larger and larger team of players. I also think one of the important side reasons of this is because Bax really really really likes the notoriety and popularity. He really enjoys everyone knowing who he is and that he's a "someone" in the poker world. Its much more of a +glory thing then +$$$ to me.
/end rant

PS. from everything i've heard and from his online persona, I'm sure sheets is a great guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I need a full list of Bax players, cuz it seems that most are pretty good MTT players and a lot are pretty big winners. I don't know about the creating a giant makeup thing, that doesn't make any sense to me, I don't want my players getting stuck tons in makeup, that would be money I'm losing, but obv hopeful to get back if they keep playing/dig out of it. I don't know about the Bax glory thing, he came off as a real nice/genuine guy to me in Vegas.

and about being -ev in mtts, I would think just about all bax players are +ev in most live events
Old 08-21-2007, 12:50 PM

I think he's trying to say that some mediocre players, who could possibly be -ev in big live events could very easily hit a huge score in wsop, wpt, etc. and already owe tons of makeup so bax/sheets get to keep the majority of the winnings.