Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2007, 08:50 PM

Default Re: to oot\'s married people

I don't get how people call it "The One" when there are very likely many people in the world who you would be just as compatible with.

/nittiness
Old 10-21-2007, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get how people call it "The One" when there are very likely many people in the world who you would be just as compatible with.

/nittiness

[/ QUOTE ]
what is it about dumb people that you dont get?
Old 10-21-2007, 09:07 PM

I think some people in this thread are taking the term 'the one' a bit too literal.

It's obviously one of your ones.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:17 PM

I don't think anyone is saying that if they had never met their wife they'd be wandering the earth for eternity because they could not find they're one.

Similarly, I'm not foolish enough to believe that "wow, god is so cool, out of the billions of people all around the globe, he puts my "One" in the same year at the same college as me! thanks god!"

What I do think is possible is that given your location in the world, you experiences, your path in life, etc. there might be one person that you have encountered that is comparatively better for you than anyone else you've come across. And I think some people have found that woman and married her.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

/nittiness

[/ QUOTE ]

It's ok if you don't get it. There probably is no one out there who you would consider a perfect fit, a perfect compliment to who you are. Someday you might find it, many do not.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
tup, j/c, but how old are you?

are any of your married friends happy?

are you opposed to marriage completely, or just not interested in it ATM?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think most of them are, yes. That doesn't mean it's for me. I try not to project my idea of happiness onto others because I understand mine is pretty warped. I do know a couple that aren't particularly happy. Mostly, most of them are just now having kids (albeit they are in their mid-30s also, it just happens that most waited until now and now all their wives are popping like crazy).

I've made it clear to every woman I've been out for more than one date with that I don't want to get married. Waste of time IMO if I don't want kids, which I don't. This freaks some of them out. Whatever. At least I'm being honest. Currently, I'm going out with a 32-year-old with an 11-year-old kid. That freaks me out a bit but she's fresh out of a divorce so we're both on the same page, at least for now.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I think some people in this thread are taking the term 'the one' a bit too literal.

[/ QUOTE ]
Absolutely not. "The one" is a pretty clear term. And even if someone thinks of it less rigidly than is traditional, we'd be much better off getting away from this phrase because of the ridiculous connotations it carries.

It's absurd to think that there's "one person out there for each of us." And I'm a romantic.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:40 AM

I think the variety of feelings regarding the phrase "the one" is pretty interesting in and of itself...I don't personally think there is one exact person in a karmic/religious/pre-ordained sort of way for me...

If anything I get math geeky about it and consider that there must be someone who is the best fit out of everyone out there...but the top 10 or who knows, top 100 could be within 0.0001% of each other, so how would know or really care....of course if they're 0.0001% similar, they're probably made of 99.9999% alcohol or something, and um, that just gets tricky...
Old 10-22-2007, 03:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Marriage is a tarp, not unlike the one which led to Vince Coleman's demise in the 1985 World Series. Don't do it.

[/ QUOTE ] because you dont like it, no one else should get married?
Old 10-22-2007, 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Is there such a thing as a 'low maintenance' woman?

[/ QUOTE ]

I married one. It's friggin awesome.

I don't care how hot or good in bed a woman is, don't marry a high-maintenace drama queen. My HS/college GF of 5 years was like that and thank God I got out of that while I was still young. My wife is the polar opposite.

and it has been said but bears repeating, lol at "the one".

and lol at you bitter single guys. lighten up fellas, there's plenty of ladies out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

Even the timeline is right.

Edit: Damn, there went my enthusiast title.