Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 01:12 AM

Default i think i\'m addicted to music

In the morning I'll have something playing while getting dressed, sometimes bringing a laptop closer to my bathroom to listen along while I grab a shower. At work, if I'm at my desk, I almost always have some headphones on, and when I'm back home the music basically only stops for tv.

A very large percentage of my waking existence has music playing; pretty much the only time I don't listen to something when i have the chance is walking to and from work, and I do have an ipod, i just don't really use it much for some reason.

So, i suppose my subject is only half serious...but i can't think this is normal. Out of all the people I know, and this is over several years of paying attention to this, I can only think of one or two who _always_ seem to have something playing, or wishing they could.

I'm not exactly an introverted person either, its not like I use it for an escape or anything. I don't know, maybe this will come across as strange. I think its similar to other things I've experienced where people like something, but if you took it away, no big deal. Going deaf would be horrible for me, and of course the volume at which I listen to most of this music is sure to help me achieve that goal soon enough...

Anyway, just kind of curious what others thought. There're lots of discussions about types of music, great bands, new albums (damn i love In Rainbows) etc, but I can't quite a feeling for how abnormal or not I am.

So what say you EDF?
Old 10-18-2007, 01:38 AM

Default Re: i think i\'m addicted to music

Standard.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:25 AM

welcome to my world. and when i'm not listening to music for real, something is looping constantly in my head - usually either the last song i heard, or the song that would normally follow it on the album. the only way for me to get rid of said song is to listen to it.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:42 AM

Music is embedded into my SOUL! It is the backdrop of our lives. We all need a soundtrack following us around throughout the day! So you are normal [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2007, 10:18 AM

Theres no drug that gives me more energy than blaring w/ the windows down and the moon roof open some AC/DC.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:28 AM

It's OK, but don't you ever wonder if it might be good to read a book every once in awhile with no noise pollution in the background?
Old 10-18-2007, 11:18 AM

Do you have a.d.d.?
Old 10-18-2007, 01:25 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

-ZEN
Old 10-18-2007, 04:01 PM

jeffnc,

I do enjoy reading, and will often not have something on at those points...

Neko,

I've joked about this with friends before, but a high school professor asked me the same question once, and i think i definitely have some tendencies. Thing is, evidently I've done too well on certain things like standardized tests etc without drugs for it to be a possibility...i guess...why do you ask?

Zen,

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2007, 04:21 PM

Asofel, I just finished reading "Driven to Distraction" by Hallowel and Ratey and it talks about how people with add often need/crave constant mental stimulation and I think music would certainly be one way of getting this.

Have you read the coping with ADD thread in this forum (started by Zee Justin)? I have never been diagnosed but I read that thread, ordered Driven to Distraction and was like "Holy [censored] that's me!" Might be something to look into.

Obv I am not a doctor and this is wild speculation since I don't know you. , but if you have joked about it with friends and had a teacher ask you before it's definitely a possibility. I don't think standardized tests are a good diagnostic tool because most people with add are naturaly quite intelligent and can usually do well on such tests just by winging it.

edit: thread was not started by ZJ but here it is.
add thread