Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2007, 10:12 PM

Default Re: poker and starcarft

all of them might go back playing when SC2 comes out soon.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:19 AM

Several of the best Warcraft II players are now poker pros as well, myself included. Here are a few I can think of off the top of my head :

Tillerman
INcinerate
Yah'mon
Nedrology
Ywfn.

It is obviously not a coincidence. Anyone with a background in strategy games has a great foundation for poker. There's no way I would be where I am today without that training ground.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:08 AM

What you need to realize is... EVERYONE plays poker now.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Several of the best Warcraft II players are now poker pros as well, myself included. Here are a few I can think of off the top of my head :

Tillerman
INcinerate
Yah'mon
Nedrology
Ywfn.

It is obviously not a coincidence. Anyone with a background in strategy games has a great foundation for poker. There's no way I would be where I am today without that training ground.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any gamer who was decent at predicting his opponents behavior in a multiplayer game will have some edge over the random poker player because you will be able to *shock* predict your opponents holdings or plays given a situation.

Doesn't have a lot to do with whether someone played StarCraft or Quake3 for years on end - its the underlying similar aspect of the nature of the game that allows it to seem to "not be a coincidence"

StarCraft was simply a super popular game, so the course of probability means that there will probably be a fair number who are good at cards also - and there are probably a fair number who still play and would probably be great card players but have zero willingness to gamble.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:15 PM

Magic: the Gathering <--> Poker is a much stronger correlation as far as I'm concerned.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

StarCraft was simply a super popular game, so the course of probability means that there will probably be a fair number who are good at cards also - and there are probably a fair number who still play and would probably be great card players but have zero willingness to gamble.

[/ QUOTE ]
starcraft was popular, but most people played like 3v3 bgh or ums games. there were not many people who played 1v1 games hardcore, especially in america. counterstrike was way more popular, but as far as i know not as many of the top players went on to get really good at poker. i think the reason for lots of starcraft players to get good at poker is because they are used to an extremely high level of competition. if you are a completely new player, you will get crushed 100% of the time in the 1v1 public battle.net games, which are the easist games you can find online. you'd have to play at least a year regularly, unless you had someone coaching you, to be able to beat the 1v1 pub games consistently. then when you move on to games in either a ladder like wgtour or games against koreans in a private korean channel you will get owned all the time again. you'd have to play at least another full year, and have a lot of innate skills, to become a top international player, and even then you are still way behind the top korean players.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:05 AM

i was in a clan called [cF].
Chaos Factors.

we were [R]h_, Rogue Hunters prior.
We were pretty popular and had many really good players in WGT and such.

i was [R]h_Censored and [cF]CaNiBuS
Old 07-12-2007, 02:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I played sc then Unreal Tournament, now I play Counter Strike source, and I think all have some commonalities with poker...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how CS, or any skill used therein, is even remotely related to Poker. ???

BTW: Quake (world) > CS
Old 07-12-2007, 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
starcraft was popular, but most people played like 3v3 bgh or ums games. there were not many people who played 1v1 games hardcore, especially in america. counterstrike was way more popular, but as far as i know not as many of the top players went on to get really good at poker. i think the reason for lots of starcraft players to get good at poker is because they are used to an extremely high level of competition. if you are a completely new player, you will get crushed 100% of the time in the 1v1 public battle.net games, which are the easist games you can find online. you'd have to play at least a year regularly, unless you had someone coaching you, to be able to beat the 1v1 pub games consistently. then when you move on to games in either a ladder like wgtour or games against koreans in a private korean channel you will get owned all the time again. you'd have to play at least another full year, and have a lot of innate skills, to become a top international player, and even then you are still way behind the top korean players.

[/ QUOTE ]

qft.

I don't really consider 3v3 bgh player a starcraft player.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:21 AM

css correction, I talked about the similarities between poker and cs and other strat/action games. But I'm top 5% in strike and maybe top 20%in the poker world, Just moving the mouse and making quick decisions with a variety of options will help in any other endeavor. The challenge is what does it to me for poker, all my cs time now goes to poker. It's the live competition and the "do not pass go and collect $200 dollars" that poker is with playing with straight cash.

I've been on a sng binge just because it's more exciting, I came back to full ring and played great.

ANyways, poker + computer games = evolution