Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2007, 12:29 PM

Default Flopping trip tips

I am completely getting owned in the last few months on flopped trip hands. Sometimes out of one of the blinds and other times in other positions it is a SC hand like 78s etc. I wonder if there is some leak in the way I play them. I normally try and play them fast cause sometimes my kicker is weak(maybe the leak right there). They are vulnerable yet can be powerful hands at the same time cause of the boat draw. Wish I had specific hand examples but the results have been the same. Any of you like to impart some trip wisdom upon the Frond? Not a BB vent but I am losing way too many chips on these hands & would like to work on this. I'll hang up now

Gracias
Old 07-07-2007, 12:43 PM

Default Re: Flopping trip tips

Play them fast.

Use reads when appropriate.

Run better.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:10 PM

I actually play them fast because no one ever folds. Sometimes I play them a bit too fast. I already have an image of being tight with a good hand reading skills, and apparently raising on the flop doesn't give the game away but three-betting it does.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:19 PM

They are vulnerable, so you pretty much have to play them fast. Isolate c/r when you're positive someone will bet behind you. However, if you get 3-bet on the flop or raised on the turn by a normally passive player, calling down is probably the way to go. I'm guessing this is probably what you already have been doing though.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:38 PM

Easy to see when some other monkey at the table is jumping up and down in their seat about flopping trips if they give u a bunch of action and your kicker is weak I would just call down. Happened to me a while ago even when I turned trips w/ top kicker and just called down after 3-bet. Had A10 on a board of Q 10 6 10 2 or something like that and after turn he was going ape and i pretty much put him on a boat or something just called down and won vs his K10, gotta gauge it sometimes and dont go to crazy.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:54 PM

Reckon they don't call KT a trap hand for nothing, eh?
Old 07-07-2007, 02:56 PM

And obviously on 4straight/4flush boards you have to be willing to fold to any kind of significant action, unless you're getting boat pot-odds.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:57 PM

If you flop the bottom end, or if there's a draw, play it really fast. If the other card on the board is lower than yours, and there is no good draw out, you can slow down a bit.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:45 AM

Last night I had an easy fold in a flopped trip hand. I had Q3 in the BB, checked my option and the flop came 33A, SB(Old tightie)bet into me I raised, turn come another A, he says "if you have pocket 3's it will be interesting and checks to me I check River comes a Q!!! He bets I fold. I say I think you have AT but he shows me AJs. This one was easy to get away given his play from but normally it is a hand like this but with a flop like 33T and I lose to T3. Guess I have to learn when to slow down. Also i will have to keep better mental notes on who plys what more than I do so such as "this idiot plays T3o UTG" etc.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:31 AM

Before you play convince yourself that you are gonna run goot.