6 3 12.00%
7 3 12.00%
8 5 20.00%
9 5 20.00%
10 6 24.00%
over 2 8.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-17-2007, 04:33 AM

Default effect of your birth order in how likely you are to be reading this!

I just read a very interesting article from Time magazine which examined how birth order affects how we turn out.

The oldest sibling is supposedly more conscientious and concerned with meeting expectations and therefore more likely to hold a profesional position

The middle siblings may take longer to choose a career than other siblings and may make opposite life choices to the oldest sibling.

Then this is the interesting bit, the younger siblings are often more prone to risk taking, likely to be artists, adventurers, entrepeneurs, or presumably... poker players.

I know that I fit the profile and I think it'd be interesting to start a survey here and see if the results correlate, so if you're interested please post your birth order here.

I'm 3rd out of 4
Old 11-17-2007, 04:36 AM

Default Re: effect of your birth order in how likely you are to be reading this!

2nd of 3. However, the other 2 are female and I am male. Does that affect your model?
Old 11-17-2007, 05:20 AM

Default Re: effect of your birth order in how likely you are to be reading thi

I've read similar things. It is true but just remember it is statistics, the force of birth order is not that powerful. individual differences are more important IMO.
I am 1st and my younger brother is totally "normal" compared to me
Old 11-17-2007, 05:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just read a very interesting article from Time magazine which examined how birth order affects how we turn out.

The oldest sibling is supposedly more conscientious and concerned with meeting expectations and therefore more likely to hold a profesional position

The middle siblings may take longer to choose a career than other siblings and may make opposite life choices to the oldest sibling.

Then this is the interesting bit, the younger siblings are often more prone to risk taking, likely to be artists, adventurers, entrepeneurs, or presumably... poker players.

I know that I fit the profile and I think it'd be interesting to start a survey here and see if the results correlate, so if you're interested please post your birth order here.

I'm 3rd out of 4

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm way off...

1st of 3 - very far from normal.

The middle child in my family has much more normal "future career choices", but is 19 and still hasnt come to a decision.

The last child is a 16 year old drama queen mooch who needs to grow out of it. Not sure how that falls into the category. Probably too young to tell.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:59 AM

That actually makes perfect sense.

The common aim of any living thing is to reproduce. Some animals actually die in the process.

Therefore an animal, which reproduces twice and then the 3rd one takes a risk has made sure it has passed it's genes on.

Therefore the risk taker may die without effecting the gene pool, but may do something fantastic improving the chance of offspring. Now days that would have little effect, but in the days of cave man, it may mean the difference of a clan dieing or livng.

Good Post OP
Old 11-17-2007, 10:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2nd of 3. However, the other 2 are female and I am male. Does that affect your model?

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I understood from the article, gender would make no difference.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:02 PM

i have an older brother and younger sister.

my brother is just like how you described the 1st born.

i however am a musician/poker player so fit into the youngest child category i believe
Old 11-17-2007, 03:57 PM

I'm 1st of 3, with my 11 year old sisters being twins.

I sort of fit the profile; up till end of secondary school I had always been extremely conscientious and my career plan back then was to be an accountant. Now when I look back at that I think yawn, but I have changed quite a lot over the past couple of years due to various circumstances. I'm much more prone to taking chances at things these days.

The older one of my twin sisters almost always comes top at school, and the youngest is perhaps more well-rounded in that she's quite artistic whereas the other one isn't as much.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:15 PM

3 of 3
Old 11-17-2007, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that statement is pretty true for me. 26 and still not sure what i am going to do lol.

2 of 3. my sister is ten years older then me and my brother is 2.5 yrs younger.