Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games

Old 11-29-2007, 03:10 AM

Default Re: wii selling for $400+ again on ebay

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
most of u guys + devs + analysts woulda never dreamed wii would sell 18-20mil in it's first 13.5 months...

[/ QUOTE ]

where is this number coming from? by my count wii will sell roughly 17 mil after the holiday season (current + 1.8 mil)

my numbers from vgchartz.com

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a member there and based on most speculation 17 mil would be on the VERY low side. There is most likely at least some sort of stock and not just what they are currently producing. I am thinking that 18-19 mil is most likely. If they somehow managed to save a ton or didn't want to tell us how much they are producing they may even hit upwards of 20mil.

Around 2 weeks before Christmas, which is usually the high point in sales, the Wii will hit some pretty large extreme prices on eBay. Count on it. Reggie has already said that they will almost certainly not be able to meet demand this Christmas.

In the time from Japan launch, the PS2 sold about 9 mil in its first 13.5 months although it wasn't out in all 3 territories for awhile.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:18 AM

i remember 3 years ago or whenever it came out (in concept) i said "that looks like the most retarded idea ever".
Old 11-29-2007, 08:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i remember 3 years ago or whenever it came out (in concept) i said "that looks like the most retarded idea ever".

[/ QUOTE ]

I too thought "Oh God a modern version of the PowerGlove, Robby the Robot or whatever" back then.

It's good to see something different thrive in the industry.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Blame Nintendo for not producing enough Wiis tbh...

[/ QUOTE ]

A good friend of mine is senior LP at a Best Buy, they have 60+ Wii's sitting in the back, Nintendo isn't letting them put any more out til December 2nd. They're producing enough I would imagine they're just keeping the demand hot.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a complete lie. Nintendo doesn't regulate street dates after initial launch. Either best buy is saving them or your friend is jerking you around.

[/ QUOTE ]

best buy is saving them for sunday so it can go in their ad...most of the big chains do this with wiis since they can't keep them in stock even during the week, so they use them as an advertising vehicle to drive traffic to the store on the weekend
Old 11-29-2007, 09:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
most of u guys + devs + analysts woulda never dreamed wii would sell 18-20mil in it's first 13.5 months...

[/ QUOTE ]

where is this number coming from? by my count wii will sell roughly 17 mil after the holiday season (current + 1.8 mil)

my numbers from vgchartz.com

[/ QUOTE ]

it all depends on the supply; obv every one shipped will sell

they are making 1.8mil/month since about august 1st, but they haven't been shipping 1.8mil/month since august...so there will likely be much more than 1.8mil available before xmas
Old 11-29-2007, 10:25 AM

what we know:

they made 7 million by 3/31/07 (sold 5.84 million of those; rest were in pipeline)
they were producing just over 1mil/month at that time
they were up to 1.5mil/month by june
they are currently at 1.8mil/month

let's assume:

they will sell out of 99% of what hits stores by 12/31/07
wiis made after 12/16 likely won't hit stores before 12/31/07

7 mil (06-03/07) + 2 mil (april/may) + 7.5 mil (june-oct) + 1.8 mil (november) + 1 mil (december) = 19.3 mil

that's right in the middle of the 18-20 mil range

they may have ramped up to 1.8 before november, as it was supposed to happen starting in august...but the only confirmation i can find is that they definitely are at 1.8mil in november

the fact that they may have been slightly ahead of the schedule above + the fact that they may be able to get some of the 12/16-12/23 wiis into the stores in asia before 12/31 + the fact that it'd be really good for them to be able to say they hit 20 mil by the end of the year (great for publicity, developer support, etc AND helps silence the critics saying they are purposefully undermanufacturing) = decent shot at them making 20mil, the top end of my range

market demand won't determine the final number, like it will with 360/ps3...supply will, so it's up to nintendo
Old 11-29-2007, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would imagine the sales would be even higher if they would allow the Wii to play DVDs without having to get a mod chip.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand this Is it a matter of convenience or something? I mean who honestly doesn't have a DVD player at this point?
Old 11-29-2007, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would imagine the sales would be even higher if they would allow the Wii to play DVDs without having to get a mod chip.

[/ QUOTE ]

not sure how u reached that conclusion

every wii shipped = a wii sold

right now it is a supply problem, not a demand problem

once they no longer sell out and nintendo's warehouses start filling up with extra wiis, then you can begin talking about how they could sell more

personally, i don't see how lack of dvd player would be a deal-breaker for 99% of potential buyers
Old 11-29-2007, 11:36 AM

Is ebay the appropriate place to try to sell a Wii? Lately it seems like it's become a haven for scammers, and if I don't want to deal with Paypal, is there another option for receiving payment on Ebay?

I've got a first gen Wii that I bought around launch and I just haven't gotten into, and I'm trying to figure out where to sell it. It's obviously not NIB, so I take a loss there, but whatever. Is craigslist a viable option?
Old 11-29-2007, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is craigslist a viable option?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say yes, but be careful. Some are not new and are trying to sell at the same price. Also the ads are Wii + 15 games, when it's actually Wii sports and such. Just make sure you know what you're getting, but from what I saw you can sometimes snag up a deal on someone who bought it, but the novelty wore off so they're selling it for cheaper. They go fast, so you have to keep checking really frequently so you're first on the seller's list.