Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2007, 03:00 PM

Default Re: US Dollar Index

[ QUOTE ]
65 cents was about the lowest it went I think, So 1.35 would be the most. Don't know how you could get 1.6. Or 15k for 10k that would be a 50cent USD for 1 CDN.

Hyperinflation is pretty scary, and a very real possibility. What do you think is the best currency to keep funds in as the possibility of hyperinflation looms. CDN? I figure the CDN will probably follow what happens to the USD in a matter of time. I would think the Euro would be best to have? What do you guys think?

[/ QUOTE ]

dont know how you can forget grade 4 math....

.65c = 1US 1/.65 = 1.54 canadian
Old 09-19-2007, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Assuming I decide to convert some extra $$$ into euros, what is the best way to go about doing this? Should I be signing up with some forex thing or just take 50k down to the bank and ask them to convert it? Also, is there an easy way for Americans to buy stocks with euros through a site like Vanguard?

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if Vanguard international funds give you the stock price in USD, that isn't accurate. The stocks they hold are denominated in EUR, GBP, JPY, or whatever the country currency is. The price they give you on the site is the converted USD value. Basically, international funds you own are already in another currency. You probably own more non-USD currencies than you think.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
65 cents was about the lowest it went I think, So 1.35 would be the most. Don't know how you could get 1.6. Or 15k for 10k that would be a 50cent USD for 1 CDN.

Hyperinflation is pretty scary, and a very real possibility. What do you think is the best currency to keep funds in as the possibility of hyperinflation looms. CDN? I figure the CDN will probably follow what happens to the USD in a matter of time. I would think the Euro would be best to have? What do you guys think?

[/ QUOTE ]

dont know how you can forget grade 4 math....

.65c = 1US 1/.65 = 1.54 canadian

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for explaining it saved me the trouble. On March 1st 2001 it was at .63c which was 1.587 So it was alittle longer than 3 or 4 years ago.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:22 PM

One thing thisdollar is causing is CDN's heading down to the USA to buy luxury vehicles and SUV's. I was looking at a lexus IS 250 and could save over $15,000 buying in US. Problem is many dealers have been told they can no longer sell to CDN's. What happened to free trade?
Old 09-19-2007, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One thing thisdollar is causing is CDN's heading down to the USA to buy luxury vehicles and SUV's. I was looking at a lexus IS 250 and could save over $15,000 buying in US. Problem is many dealers have been told they can no longer sell to CDN's. What happened to free trade?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you not have to pay an import tax when doing this?
Old 09-19-2007, 04:59 PM

Listen to a few of this guys videos, some on CNBC. Peter Schiff:

Video's

He is really bearish on the US markets, the US Dollar, Real Estate, etc... While I don't believe everything he is saying, he does have some good points regarding inflation and the economy.

It's good to see all angles when investing.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you not have to pay an import tax when doing this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope you just pay the 6% GST and $100 airconditioning tax and $5 a tire recycling fee.Once you have the car you bring to a local CDN tire to get certified for $100. You may have to add a daytime running light switch too. But thats cheap.

Hoping to get a used IS250 if no dealer sells me a new one
Old 09-20-2007, 09:47 AM

99.99 against CDN there she blows
Old 09-20-2007, 01:28 PM

The record low was 61.79 cents on Jan. 21, 2002.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:08 AM

ya this is sick, whats the best thing to do with USD? Convert to Euros, because its just a matter of time before CDN follows USD.