Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 10:08 AM

Default Re: Got company. $100 missing. Here\'s what I\'ve done.

[ QUOTE ]
then make not-so-obvious eye contact with the kid, and gauge his response.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. Your a live poker player right? You should know right away if he took it or not....

Also, I remember when I was 14, I stole a roll of dimes from my grandmas house. ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE!! LOL at this..my mom had me help her look through the garbage for the empty dimes wrapper, which I had indeed put in the trash. I also found it and put it into my pocket. I still remember what I bought with that $10. A giant sized special edition Fantastic Four comic and CANDY!!!
Old 11-21-2007, 10:37 AM

Howard, you already said you aren't 100% sure so I wouldn't say anything to anyone about it, just chalk it up to experience.

Two summers ago we had a family outing at my house, all my wife's relatives. Late in the day her niece and husband showed up after most people left. They both have had coke problems but were supposedly straight at the time.

Well I had my poker cash, about $2000 in my top bureau draw. Sometime during their visit the niece went into the house to use the bathroom and was gone a long time.

After they left, I started thinking about my poker stash and her being in the house and I went to check to see if it was still there and it was gone. My wife was absolutley sure her niece took it and wanted to call her.

I nixed that and said we aren't sure and besides it's "my fault" for leaving the money where someone could take it and that we weren't doing anything. Well good thing because the next day I found the money in a different drawer.

So, I would just forget it. It's not your job anyway to teach this kid life's lessons.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:47 AM

Doesn't it seem way more likely that you got shorted or dropped the money somewhere along the way?
Old 11-21-2007, 11:02 AM

At dinner, tell them you had an operative witness the theft. Have everyone stand at the dinner table and put their right hand into the person's left pocket. Find the marked bill.

Make that person switch places with a homeless guy. Hilarity will ensue.

Leverage the homeless guy's street smarts and the thief's knowledge of financial markets to take down the Dukes.

Profit.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't it seem way more likely that you got shorted or dropped the money somewhere along the way?

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed - unless you have reason to believe otherwise from the kid's history, doing anything besides saying "damn, I lost $100 bucks" and gaging his reaction is stupid.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:27 AM

when i walked out the door saturday morning, i had $300 in my pocket. after much post michigan-loss drinking, i woke up sunday with $16.50 on my dresser, and no clue how my day's bankroll got so low...

i think i have a 14-year old running around here, too..
Old 11-21-2007, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At dinner, tell them you had an operative witness the theft.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but then when Howard brings out his Real Doll and asks her to point out the culprit, things could get a bit awkward.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is pretty excellent advice I feel (apart from letting him keep it, like suzzer said, his reward is you dont tell his parents).

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Excellent post by By-Tor. However, I think letting him keep the money is crucial. The act of generosity here will have a more profound impact than taking the money back. He will feel really guilty (assuming he is not a crappy person) and will NEVER forget about it. It also teaches the kid a lesson on forgiveness and generosity.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Social retard? wtf, I'm more normal than most on here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, but that's not saying much.

If you're not sure that the kid took the money, you shouldn't mention the missing money to him or the rest of the family. Everyone will immediately assume that you suspect the kid, even if you don't come out and say it. If he didn't steal the money, it will severely damage your relationship with him.

I do like the "Put it back" note idea to a certain extent. It won't work unless the kid is an even bigger scumbag and comes back for seconds, though. Unless he actually returns the money (and I can just about guarantee that he won't), you'll have no idea whether or not he took the $100.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:34 PM

HOWARD: <font color="green">Did the cage short me? Did I drop it somewhere? The answer to both is 'I don't think so' but that isn't good enough. My mind starts to create doubts.</font>

BY-TOR: <font color="blue">if close and you are 100% positive the cash is missing and you are 99% sure that he took it</font>

it does not appear that the conditions of by-tor's advice have been met.