Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2007, 12:25 AM

Default Re: ept monte carlo questions

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

This is a real American stereotype to complain about the food in France or Monte carlo or whatever because they don't make hamburgers like at home.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm actually Scottish and couldn't find haggis or deep fried Mars bars anywhere but they would probably have fu**ed them up.

Seriously though I was on the toilet for 48 hours - that isn't a matter of culinary style.

(BTW I know it is a bit crass to visit somewhere and not sample the local food so I do take your point.)

[/ QUOTE ]
I have traveled briefly to Paris, Quebec, and Louisiana, and my experience was that the food in ordinary restaurants was really excellent. I don't go in for esgargot or anything, but I found plenty on the menus that wasn't real exotic. Monte Carlo is extremely wealthy and I would assume has some very fine restaurants. Seasoned raw hamburger meat is a French speciality, and I don't know your hamburger was literally raw or just very rare. However, I would suggest that you would to better sampling the local specialities, particularly in a French speaking country.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:40 AM

Thanks for the insight guys. What would you do if in my situation: the money isnt really an issue, but my friend just dropped out of the trip, do you think its worth it to go from California to Monte Carlo for the tourny? Basically, do you think a person by themselves would get bored?
Old 03-20-2007, 05:25 AM

i'll come with you. just buy me into the tourney. i'll give you a 60 40 split.

edit - i beat out like 7k players in the main event last summer, so you know i'm a lock.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:30 AM

Hmmmm TBH I wouldn't go there for more than 2 days if it wasn't for a poker tournament. Don't know what age you are but hotel staff (I stayed in 2 hotels due to overbooking) seemed to dislike young Americans and Scandies. It really is a long way to travel just for a tourney, so unless you are planning seeing some more of Europe....
Old 03-21-2007, 03:36 AM

What about cash wise? How much do you think someone should bring, aside from tourny and hotel costs?
Old 03-21-2007, 01:43 PM

dont go alone thats lame
Old 03-21-2007, 02:45 PM

Wow, I'm going to disagree with most of the posters. Monte Carlo is an amazing place to visit, but it's not cheap. You're going to spend plenty of dough. When you're not in the tournament there is a lot to do around MC after you've seen MC: Nice, Cannes and you don't have to rent a car. SNCF is a great train and the buses are excellent. You can take the TGV to Marsailles and back.

As for money, it's what you want to play with. Everything else can be done with AmEx or Visa or MC. I would go to your local bank and get Euros before you leave as that's the best exchange rate - don't do it at the airport. I personally take $150 US per day I'll be there and credit card everything I can. Add your poker bankroll to that.

I'm not even going to touch that comment comparing the food in Paris to the food in Louisiana...

As for traveling yourself, I've traveled the world extensively both with people and alone. It truly is up to you and your personality. Personally, I love being a strager in a strange land and meeting new people from all walks of life. But if you're just going to play in tourney, then sit in a bar and not talk to anyone then it's probably not best to go alone. It's certainly not lame to go alone, but it's not everyone's cup of tea. It is, however, a great way to meet people and learn new cultures. I've been to Paris alone and met great people. The best cities to travel to alone are Stockholm and Sydney in the summer - you'll never meet nicer people. But MC would be fine, especially for a poker tourney where everyone around you has something in common with you.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
dont go alone thats lame

[/ QUOTE ]

why is that lame?
Old 03-24-2007, 02:41 PM

does anyone i know want to go and share room and party?
Old 03-24-2007, 03:48 PM

bruiser!

me and daryn are going. and then onto florence to meet jay.