Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 12:26 PM

Default Re: Winning Player Losing Badly and Needs Advice

gir,

there are tutorials for it. u need to change some settings before u record it to make the size managable so ur vid is pretty useless now i think. google it or something.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:26 PM

well im up over 100K at 2/4 this year and i've had at least 10-15 ten buyin downswings. obviously no 40 buyin downswings tho :P
Old 10-15-2007, 12:31 PM

That's pretty sweet Seabeast... I agree that they occur, but just not nearly as often as people assume they should. Can you say you were playing at 100% of your potential without tilt after losing that 9th or 10th stack?
Old 10-15-2007, 12:39 PM

yeah i have lost 10 buyins and then won them back in the same night before plenty of times [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2007, 12:41 PM

also obviously doesnt have to be one night. it's not that weird to have a couple of unlucky small 3 buyin losses in a row really. and it usually doesn't take that long to win it back either. but that goes back to what i said earlier in the thread about variance affecting you more the less you play. and i'm not trying to derail the thread cos 40 buyins is absurd.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also obviously doesnt have to be one night. it's not that weird to have a couple of unlucky small 3 buyin losses in a row really. and it usually doesn't take that long to win it back either. but that goes back to what i said earlier in the thread about variance affecting you more the less you play. and i'm not trying to derail the thread cos 40 buyins is absurd.

[/ QUOTE ]

But if you can have 10-15 10 buyin downswings over a a 100K period and you are a 5-7ptbb winner over a huge sample, why is it extremely unlikely to have 4 of those 10 buyin downswings in a row.

I guess it gets progressively less likely the bigger the downswing, but if you take a big group of winning players that routinely have 10 buyin downswings is not reasonably feasable for one of them to have a 40 buying downswing.

Variance is a bitch.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I guess it gets progressively less likely the bigger the downswing, but if you take a big group of winning players that routinely have 10 buyin downswings is not reasonably feasable for one of them to have a 40 buying downswing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone, somewhere has had a 40 buyin downswing as a winning player. Assuming that that person is you is still stupid.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
youre not playing well at all if you are on 10+ buyin downswing at 2/4.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what a dumb statement

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's dumb to think losing 10 buy-ins is a regular, routine thing if you're a strong player at such a low limit, especially if you 8-table for 2bb/100 and think you're 'crushing' the game.

Nothing wrong with being a slight winner I guess, but don't think these big losing streaks are unavoidable.

[/ QUOTE ]

uh, yes they are. Come back when you have layed over 50k hands lifetime plz. For a good player at 5-10 a 15-20 buyin downswing is pretty standard and prob. happens once every 100k hands.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But if you can have 10-15 10 buyin downswings over a a 100K period and you are a 5-7ptbb winner over a huge sample, why is it extremely unlikely to have 4 of those 10 buyin downswings in a row.

Variance is a bitch.

[/ QUOTE ]

it doesnt get less likely. if u are on a 10 buyin downswing, u have the exact same chance to go on another one from that point. what happens in the past is completely irrelevant in calculating odds for the future.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm on roughly a $15,000 downswing at 2/4. My account is around 13k from its peak around 28k a few months ago.

My game...Since then...Has gotten exponentially better. I explored my potential leaks and started shutting their doors left and right. I discovered (through 2+2 and experimentation) different approaches to hands and am better able to understand why they work or don't work.

I have come so far from where I was but can't even out my huge losses with wins. Either coolered or bad beat (more bad beats than coolers...I'm trying to eliminate some of those from my game too).

Someone please tell me what to do. Tonight is the best I have just about ever played and I'm down 1k (see example hand in PP thread) right now.

I can move down, but I don't see what that will do besides slowdown busto-ness. My game SHOULD be a winning one at 400 (and likely is by other players, just not me). I'm not crazy or (exceptionally) full of myself.

So to reiterate, PLEASE HELP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I consider you another midly competent regular. The last thing I would do is help you become a better player. I hope you lose the rest. It's how we make money.

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW

[/ QUOTE ]

I just don't get why people would help their enemies? Any player who sits down at the table to take my money is fair game. If you wanna succeed in poker, you have to be as ruthless as me. Anyone worth their salt will not be giving this guy advice to improve his game. If anything, they will mess with his head by giving terrible advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

you could argue that poker is a zero sum game, but i dont think the same applies for the interaction between 2p2 and poker... therefore i would stop being a dick or at the very least keep it to yourself