Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2007, 03:23 AM

Default Re: Winning Player Losing Badly and Needs Advice

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i have no idea whether or not your a winning player, but losing 40 buyins to variance is entirely possible and does not mean ur a losing player. u should ignore any posts that try to suggest such(pretty much every post in this thread)

[/ QUOTE ]

yea, great advice...ignore how ur playing, don't even consider it could be bad play. oh and if u lose another 40 BIs just chalk it up to some more of that nasty variance.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea man thats exactly what i said.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm on roughly a $15,000 downswing at 2/4. My account is around 13k from its peak around 28k a few months ago.

My game...Since then...Has gotten exponentially better. I explored my potential leaks and started shutting their doors left and right. I discovered (through 2+2 and experimentation) different approaches to hands and am better able to understand why they work or don't work.

I have come so far from where I was but can't even out my huge losses with wins. Either coolered or bad beat (more bad beats than coolers...I'm trying to eliminate some of those from my game too).

Someone please tell me what to do. Tonight is the best I have just about ever played and I'm down 1k (see example hand in PP thread) right now.

I can move down, but I don't see what that will do besides slowdown busto-ness. My game SHOULD be a winning one at 400 (and likely is by other players, just not me). I'm not crazy or (exceptionally) full of myself.

So to reiterate, PLEASE HELP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I consider you another midly competent regular. The last thing I would do is help you become a better player. I hope you lose the rest. It's how we make money.

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW

[/ QUOTE ]

I just don't get why people would help their enemies? Any player who sits down at the table to take my money is fair game. If you wanna succeed in poker, you have to be as ruthless as me. Anyone worth their salt will not be giving this guy advice to improve his game. If anything, they will mess with his head by giving terrible advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lots of very good and successful players post good advice on 2+2. The way I look at it, not contributing is not going to make any sort of impact for the games, at least not one player doing it. But contributing in strategy discussion by posting hands and replying to them and reading different posts has made my game so much better and has taught me to think of the game in a different manner.

I can easily say that contributing to MSNL has been very +EV for me even if I'm helping out some of the players I play against on a daily basis.

Your outlook is pretty selfish and when people come into threads like you are it makes me want to punch them in the face if I ever ran into them irl.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:51 AM

drop down to 1/2 and find a coach asap. i went on a 12k drop at 2/4 earlier in the year, altho i made about 5k at 1/2 over the same time so it wasnt really a 30 buyin downswing i guess, but since then i realised how much worse i was than i had thought. sounds like you probably were like me back in march where i ran at 8ptbb for my first 50k hands at 2/4 and thought i was unstoppable. turns out i was running hotter than the sun and was being lined up for a strong dose of reality.

another thing, do you game select well? i know a lot of the other 2/4 and 3/6 regs on party seem to have little to no game selection skills. try to only sit in games with at least 1 fish while you work your way out of the funk.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:57 AM

OP we exchanged screen names some time back, and I checked my database (covers from 8/1 - present at $200nl - $600nl) and have about 8.3k hands on you running at 7ptbb. Anyways, I looked at your biggest losing hands and it looks like you're making a lot of tilty plays that are costing you. I'm not going to post any of them because that would be rude without your permission. FWIW your stats look very solid, 21.4/15.4 and a high W$SF of 47. You're going to showdown a pretty high 28% of the time with a W$SD of about 50, which leads me to believe you're calling down way too light.

It's actually interesting because your stats in PT are pretty similar to my own and I also had a big upswing followed by a downswing (15 buyins here) at Party $400nl. Not sure if that's of any relevance, but I've definitely been running bad, but I'm not going to deny that I've tilted off several buyins and made a lot of bad calls specifically. I think this is likely the case with you to a worse degree. I would really recommend dropping down to $200nl for a little while and rebuild both your bankroll and your game.

Good luck.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:04 AM

My stats seem to say that I'm up overall in 2/4...I don't understand how, but whatever. They're clearly wrong. Here is a small chunk of my most recent hands.

I don't want to move down because I don't feel the need. If I slide into a smaller account (at 14k atm), I will definitely do it. I won't let myself go busto at 2/4. I worked way too hard to get here.

Can somebody recommend a popular/easy to use software for recording a video? My screen name will likely come out then and I'd be glad to hear any recommendations (for those that would be willing). Thanks.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:06 AM

uh, I made videos dude, just send me a PM.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My stats seem to say that I'm up overall in 2/4...I don't understand how, but whatever. They're clearly wrong. Here is a small chunk of my most recent hands.

I don't want to move down because I don't feel the need. If I slide into a smaller account (at 14k atm), I will definitely do it. I won't let myself go busto at 2/4. I worked way too hard to get here.

Can somebody recommend a popular/easy to use software for recording a video? My screen name will likely come out then and I'd be glad to hear any recommendations (for those that would be willing). Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

ur stats are those of a calling station
Old 10-14-2007, 04:31 AM

24/17.5 and only stealing 29% of the time already doesn't look very good. WTSD 28.42 and W$SD 46.66 also looks like another big issue. I'd guess you have some big leaks which you can't usually say just from looking at stats. Post position stats?
Old 10-14-2007, 04:39 AM

yeah. standard is prob. went to sd 25-26 and won at sd is prod. 48-52
Old 10-14-2007, 04:44 AM

i'm not trying to be rude or anything, but going by your posts in the party regs thread and some hands you posted i always thought you seemed to have leaks and to be overly affected by bad beats and downswings in general.

i also remember you saying you only played a few tables a few times a week, if this is the case normal variance is going to seem a lot more intense as you are experiencing it in relatively slow motion, and you know it's going to take a while to win back the money you lose so it feels worse.

so my advice is to get coaching to improve your game, and also to play more hands if you are going to take poker seriously. it's pretty common that people who are affected the most by downswinging are those who log the least hands, whereas grinders can mostly play their way out of it and thus losing 10 buyins or whatever doesn't matter so much as it's just a couple of days work.

of course not everyone has the time/fortitude to be a grinder, but if you are constantly reading 2+2 and filling your thoughts with information about other people winning but then not playing much at all yourself, when variance hits you hard it is going to sting.