FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 01:15 PM

Default Re: someone banned me by mistake

[ QUOTE ]
tuq = the truth

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 11-09-2007, 02:08 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

In the atf main page it says this thread has 5 posts(7 new) wtf?
Old 11-09-2007, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One simple way to clean up that forum is to insta-ban anyone who posts within say a month of their 100th post. It seems to be overrun with noobs "in the know" who have no respect for the punishment handed them nor the people who spend time trying to make the forum experience beneficial for all. At the present it seems every day is filled with some "noob" peeling off 60 posts in their first day while spouting some familiar forum-isms.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL EVER HEARD OF LONG TIME LURKER FIRST TIME POSTER. WHY BAN PEOPLE FOR NOT BREAKING ANY RULES.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One simple way to clean up that forum is to insta-ban anyone who posts within say a month of their 100th post. It seems to be overrun with noobs "in the know" who have no respect for the punishment handed them nor the people who spend time trying to make the forum experience beneficial for all. At the present it seems every day is filled with some "noob" peeling off 60 posts in their first day while spouting some familiar forum-isms.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL EVER HEARD OF LONG TIME LURKER FIRST TIME POSTER. WHY BAN PEOPLE FOR NOT BREAKING ANY RULES.

[/ QUOTE ]
ban imo
Old 11-09-2007, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You're not being serious obv so I have no idea why I'm giving a serious answer, but here goes.

Nobody joins a message board for the first time with the volume of a forum such as BBV4L and comes out firing right out of the gate. Nobody. Even if they've lurked for awhile. Even in a forum like that, where quality of post is fairly low, people will dip their foot in the pool before jumping in. Even with my embarrassingly high post count it probably took me a few months to get to 100 posts.

That's why, when you see noobs peeling off 30 posts/day and seem to know what's going on they might as well be flying a banner in the sky that says HAY GUISE LOOK AT ME I WAS BANNED BUT I'M BACK AND MY BBV STREET CRED IS IMPORTANT SO I WANT YOU TO FIGURE OUT WHO I AM. And that doesn't even take into consideration accounts that are anagrams of "yvesaint" - even more subtle usernames seem to out themselves.

This makes it hard for the unpaid volunteers of that forum to maintain any order and obviously a lot of posters don't respect them, so my suggestion was to nuke any account that got to 100 posts in that forum within their first month. Easy to sort out and is a deterrent to future bans too.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You're not being serious obv so I have no idea why I'm giving a serious answer, but here goes.

Nobody joins a message board for the first time with the volume of a forum such as BBV4L and comes out firing right out of the gate. Nobody. Even if they've lurked for awhile. Even in a forum like that, where quality of post is fairly low, people will dip their foot in the pool before jumping in. Even with my embarrassingly high post count it probably took me a few months to get to 100 posts.

That's why, when you see noobs peeling off 30 posts/day and seem to know what's going on they might as well be flying a banner in the sky that says HAY GUISE LOOK AT ME I WAS BANNED BUT I'M BACK AND MY BBV STREET CRED IS IMPORTANT SO I WANT YOU TO FIGURE OUT WHO I AM. And that doesn't even take into consideration accounts that are anagrams of "yvesaint" - even more subtle usernames seem to out themselves.

This makes it hard for the unpaid volunteers of that forum to maintain any order and obviously a lot of posters don't respect them, so my suggestion was to nuke any account that got to 100 posts in that forum within their first month. Easy to sort out and is a deterrent to future bans too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tuq,

Would this help anything in reality?

I mean, I can see people registering accounts before they are banned and things like that so that they easily blend in. And that is an extreme measure since 100 posts in your first month probably wouldn't be that big of a limit. And plus, their posting would just expand exponentially the second month for all the awesome posts they've been saving.

Just not feasible imo afaik
Old 11-09-2007, 10:55 PM

I thought you could just ip ban people?
Old 11-09-2007, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, Tuq sure does know 2p2 really really well. Everything he said is quoted for truth, which makes Tuq a good mod IMO.

Conspire
Old 11-09-2007, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I've always thought along these lines. You see these guys racking up the posts right off the cuff, using all the "2+2isms", it's pretty obvious they've been doing this for a while. I don't post in any of the wild & wacky OT forums like OOT or BBV, so I never know who these guys were before, but it's obvious even to me that they were somebody on here before.

I don't know that this automatic banning would be a good idea, if Tuq was serious about that part, but hopefully at least the mods are keeping their eyes on posters like that for "bannable" behavior.