Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL

Old 07-31-2007, 01:48 PM

Default heisenb3rg theory post from sssh nc/lc thread

I thought this was pretty interesting

heisenb3rg wrote
[ QUOTE ]
FWIW I've also come to some NL epiphanies today.

It's blatently obvious and Im surprised I never realized it before.

1) find away show the 30/20's that you wont be pushed around.. do this cheaply as possible.
2) Then AVOID regulars and focus on fish.
3) Min-raise nits on the flop. if they call, be done with the hand.

I used to keep a fixed betsize preflop all the time for fear my hand is too exposed but ive stopped doing this.. If I know a fish is in the hand and will likely call, im going to go for broke preflop with my big cards and try to build big pots. If for some reason I need to fix my bet size, the game probabily isnt good and I should find a new one.

When continuation betting against fishwho peel way too light, im going to bet half the pot on the flop if I miss, then continuation bet the turn on most boards. If I hit on the flop im going to bet more. I have realized I've been giving fish way too much credit and am going to no longer bother with information hiding.

[/ QUOTE ]

the stuff in #3 there looks like a good recipe to crush the low stakes games.

anyone have any ideas for accomplishing #1?
Old 07-31-2007, 01:50 PM

Default Re: heisenb3rg theory post from sssh nc/lc thread

Yeah, I read this too. It's very interesting. I'm also curious about #1.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:54 PM

light 4bets perhaps if they are 3betting frequently preflop?
that doesn't sounds like a cheap way of doing it though

maybe lead into them on the flop a fair amount if they're 3betting you light
Old 07-31-2007, 02:08 PM

I saw this earlier, but It was like 10 pages back already so I didnt comment. I kinda disagreed to some degree, the 30/20s in NL are not much to fear esp if they cant fold hands to further aggression postflop with TP or are stacking off vs 4bets with like JJ AK at TT, its not like showing the 30/20s in limit u wont be pushed around which is more important than in NL i feel. Plus u ll have initiative so often and the 30/20s in NL still play their cards and ck fold like everytime they miss.

his last paragraph Ive started to do as well esp against short stacked fish, u dont need to fix ur bet sizes for fear of giving away info they dont catch on, adjust or exploit it. They literally fold the same range for 6 as 8 so no reason to risk those 2 extra dollars to take down the same size pot on most boards vs most fish (vs some I mite even bet smaller w/ air they think "ohhh big hand hes tryin to sucker me in", and again fold the same range as when u pot it).

Plus theres so many NL players u arent gonna run into people enough where its a concern I feel like. And like heis says if its really an issue in a small stakes NL game that they ll pick up on what ur bet sizes mean and raise with air then ur probably not at a good table. And its usually easy to tell if they're catchin on to somethin like that, and u can set them up later. Truthfully most players dont do anything about the fact u bet everytime ur checked to HU or 3way either to rope u in with good hands or to resteal when they have bad hands.

I think second barreling in NL100 unless uve seen them peel like 55 on KQx and not bluff after u ck behind the turn on the river or have other specific reads of why to second barrel will be a leak, most players in NL arent even peeling 2nd pair when they should I feel like, and if they do they wont fold it enough to justify the second bet (esp since most of their hands they ll want to call with at that point, TPGK ect). Ive found very few spots where I think its correct to second barrel a bad player with a hand with no showdown value but would like to hear some agreed upon good examples for sure. I think until uve seen them call flops and fold the turn alot when u bet when u have good hands dont start out doing it with bad hands vs bad players.

As for 3 I dont raise too many flops vs the tags in position, becuz im often 3betting or my hand has showdown value and theyre very easy to play against on the next street so I float (some dry boards obviously I take shots when I have crap), but I think particularly in blind defense there are so many spots to cr no matter what ur cards are (plus people may notice ur cr'ing frequency is higher than the nits and give u a bit more action with ur good hands/ they cant just play correctly and fold to all ur cr's). for example tag opens on the button, u call in either blind flop's A88, cr to the size of the pot or a bit more, theyre folding like 80% of the time atleast so its very profitable. The key is picking decent boards (ideally less coordinated if tons of hands in their range will have to peel with fds or straight draws its not a great spot, or if they ll never fold TP) and knowing which players arent gonna peel underpairs or are nitty enough to fold TP decent kicker. I try not to get too outline stealing with air vs the nits (try to keep it looking reasonablish or not sit with them at all)_ but maybe I should pump it up a bit and try to make it seem unreasonable so my cr's get less respect???

disclaimer that I may not know what I'm talkin about
Old 07-31-2007, 02:51 PM

"I used to keep a fixed betsize preflop all the time for fear my hand is too exposed but ive stopped doing this.. If I know a fish is in the hand and will likely call, im going to go for broke preflop with my big cards and try to build big pots. If for some reason I need to fix my bet size, the game probabily isnt good and I should find a new one."

haha, i realized this pretty quick and its proly the most profitable part of my game. find fish, raise lots with good hands.