Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games

Old 11-26-2006, 06:43 PM

Default Help me rig my Wii to my 2405FPW Dell 24\" Widescreen Monitor

This is going to be my plan once I get to Argentina in January. I'll be in the States to pick up my Wii in mid-December. So I've got approximately 2 weeks to make this whole thing work before I leave. What do I need to do?

I'm going to pick up a 100 W step up/down transformer to convert the 220V Argentine power supply to 110V so my Wii doesn't get fried. Looking at the back of my monitor I appear to have component, S-video, and composite inputs on the back. Is this thing actually capable of 480p? I guess in theory it should even be capable of 1080p because it has at least 1080 vertical pixel resolution...hmm.

So is composite definitely the way to go and then wire the audio cables into my PC or some sort of external speakers? I just want to make sure this plan works before I commit to it.

- Converter for voltage so Wii doesn't get fried. I'll be ignoring the Hertz difference as the monitor is 50/60Hz capable anyways.

- Component from Wii to monitor. Should be able to switch that monitor freely from PC to Wii.

- Stereo sound to PC or external speakers.

Look okay? Do I need to buy component cables now from the Nintendo store or should I just wait to get them at a retail store? Anything else look wrong with my plan?

Edit: Will this run in 16:9?
Old 11-27-2006, 01:12 PM

Default Re: Help me rig my Wii to my 2405FPW Dell 24\" Widescreen Monitor

[ QUOTE ]
This is going to be my plan once I get to Argentina in January. I'll be in the States to pick up my Wii in mid-December. So I've got approximately 2 weeks to make this whole thing work before I leave. What do I need to do?

I'm going to pick up a 100 W step up/down transformer to convert the 220V Argentine power supply to 110V so my Wii doesn't get fried. Looking at the back of my monitor I appear to have component, S-video, and composite inputs on the back. Is this thing actually capable of 480p? I guess in theory it should even be capable of 1080p because it has at least 1080 vertical pixel resolution...hmm.

So is composite definitely the way to go and then wire the audio cables into my PC or some sort of external speakers? I just want to make sure this plan works before I commit to it.

- Converter for voltage so Wii doesn't get fried. I'll be ignoring the Hertz difference as the monitor is 50/60Hz capable anyways.

- Component from Wii to monitor. Should be able to switch that monitor freely from PC to Wii.

- Stereo sound to PC or external speakers.

Look okay? Do I need to buy component cables now from the Nintendo store or should I just wait to get them at a retail store? Anything else look wrong with my plan?

Edit: Will this run in 16:9?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've tried this in the past with other consoles and it seems the only way to produce audio is to hook the Wii's audio feed to a stereo receiver and external speakers. I could not manage a way to produce the sound through my computer.

Component cables should work much the same way as composite - just wire the audio to the external stereo receiver.

The input from the Wii will be separate from the PC input so all you would have to do is switch the setting on the monitor to change between them.

I'm not sure about the HD resolution capabilities.

Sorry if this wasn't much help and if you find a way to bypass the stereo receiver let me know.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:36 PM

There is a pretty easy way to produce sound through your computer... You need to get an adaptor that converts the red and white stero jacks to a single mini jack and feed that to the line in on your computer. Then adjust the line in volume.

The drawbacks are that you have to always have your computer on to play games.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is a pretty easy way to produce sound through your computer... You need to get an adaptor that converts the red and white stero jacks to a single mini jack and feed that to the line in on your computer. Then adjust the line in volume.

The drawbacks are that you have to always have your computer on to play games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah this was my plan. Alternatively, if I buy a set of external speakers with sub for my PC, it should have a line-in where I am plugging the PC into. If I get a splitter I can have both going into the same speaker.

I have my PC on 24/7 anyways so it is not like it really matters. I hope this works. Suppose I should just get the Nintendo component cables from their web site now and try to figure it out when I get back to the states.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah this was my plan. Alternatively, if I buy a set of external speakers with sub for my PC, it should have a line-in where I am plugging the PC into. If I get a splitter I can have both going into the same speaker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Might not need a splitter. My comp's sub (which is old) has two 1/8" audio inputs. I've only ever used one. I do plan to hook my Wii up to it and my 2405FPW. Just haven't got around it.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:22 PM

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I have a question in a similar vein.

I'm using a ViewSonic VX724 Monitor with only a RGB input-signal for video, y/n on whether I can connect a Wii to this?