Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 05:41 PM

Default Re: Absolute Can\'t believe no one has brought this up yet!

Hello everyone. Infrequent 2+2 lurker here who, of course is very interested in the current happenings at Absolute.

You must also excuse the fact that someone may have brought this up previously but I don't have time to go back and look, and the search function here pretty much blows.

I was just thinking about about this event as it relates to the short history of online poker, and more specifically the PokerSpot scandal in the early days. If you remember, once the site started having financial difficulties they pulled out all the stops to stay in business, including spending players funds to stay afloat.

With Absolute, perhaps the same thing is occuring. We all know that UIGEA has changed things and it is not far outside the realm of possibility to assume they are having financial difficulties. Perhaps this was their solution to come up with some short term cash.

The arguement has ALWAYS been "Why would the site rig it, they make too much money?"

Well, perhaps UIGEA and the competition has put them in a place where taking this risk is now(was) worth the gamble for them.

On a side note, if anything this should further renew all poker players desire to keep fighting to get online poker legalized and REGULATED.

The games are not going anywhere and quite frankly, most people are too addicted to quit. I don't think this would ever happen if American corporations took over and pumped millions into having an ultra secure site, that didn't involve having accounts that could "see hole cards and look for improprities" and no transparency.

I apologize for starting another topic on this horrible situation and I think if anything it is up to the players to make the changes that are required (Just like how it was up to the players to catch the cheaters)and the only way this is ever going to happen is through discussion.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:46 PM

[ ] apology accepted
Old 10-20-2007, 05:59 PM

What is your explanation for why the owners of the site are caught up trying to steal basically peanuts from the players and risk it all in the process?
Old 10-20-2007, 06:03 PM

The guy was taking upwards of $30k a session iirc, on who's planet is that peanuts?

Do you think because a site makes hundreds of thousands a month all the employee's get like 10% of it. They get a basic wage which makes stealing the amounts POTRIPPER did temtping.

How hard is that to comprehend?
Old 10-20-2007, 06:10 PM

The general consensus was that the account won between $700,000 to $1 million. I am going off of the assumption that this figure is correct, and to an online poker site, this is peanuts.

Scott Tom is the behind the scenes owner of the site and he is the one supposedly implicated. Isn't he worth millions? Why would he risk it to play and win money when he can just as easily not play and make money?

Unless you believe that someone really did "frame him," in which case I would reply that you stil have the wool over your eyes.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The general consensus was that the account won between $700,000 to $1 million. I am going off of the assumption that this figure is correct, and to an online poker site, this is peanuts

[/ QUOTE ]

Are the drugs you're on medicinal? because I want some.

I'm going to go out on a slight limb here and say Scott Tom's PC was used by someone else who isn't a CEO of a multi million (not billion) company, and who wouldn't waste his time playing 2-3hrs for $30+k when like you said before he is minted.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:51 PM

It appears you are the one on drugs. Go back and read your post over again as it makes absolutele-ly no sense.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:20 PM

OP what is the point of this thread?
Old 10-20-2007, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OP what is the point of this thread?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. Locked.
Closed Thread