Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 01:37 PM

Default which universities??

I'm applying for a university in the states, im from sweden so im a international student... i want to study something in the area of economics (marketing/management).

School should have good general reputation
Good undergraduate program
Good master program for further study if i make it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Easy for international students to get into
Warm allround weather around the city, i hate cold winters!

thanks for helping me out!
Old 11-21-2007, 01:51 PM

Default Re: which universities??

You're from Sweden and you don't like cold weather? lol

That's going to cut out a lot of really good programs in the North.

Check out this site for a list:

http://www.graduateshotline.com/study/economics.html

While the ratings are for their grad programs, they all have undergrad programs as well.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:51 PM

I think private schools will generally be easier for an international student to get into at the undergraduate level. state schools have to pay the piper, so to speak.

at Berkeley, I believe the breakdown was something like 90% from CA, 8% out of state, 2% international.

I think US News is the most heavily relied upon rankings site for general reputations of universities in the US, but don't put too much faith in it.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:58 PM

wow, isn't like impossible to get into schools like harvard,stanford, MIT ect.... i mean i dont have perfect grades... :S

how do i know which school are private or not??
Old 11-21-2007, 02:31 PM

If they don't have a state's name in them they're probly private. There are exceptions either way I'd assume but in general if the university doesn't have a state's name in it it's probly private. If your grades warrant it, that is to say if you wouldn't rather go to a finer university, then 'd suggest San Diego State University. Our winters are extremely mild (obviously, it's San Diego) and the business program, particularly the international business program, is very popular. I'm not in it so I can't attest to whether or not it's a well respected program but I know it's a really popular one at SDSU and there are a lot of international students here.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:02 PM

Go to Tulane.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:16 PM

So you've restricted to the South, or West Coasts. Good Universities that have a good international following.

My question would be how are your scores? And how are your grades if they aren't perfect?

Top schools in the Western Area are:

USC
Cal-Tech
Cal (kinda cool)
Stanford (also cooler weather)
UCSD
UCLA
UC-Davis
UC-Irvine
UC-SB

All of these schools are tough to get in.

South

UT-Austin
TAMU
Emory
GT
Florida
UT
UGA

These schools are slightly easier to get into, although still challenging. Again if I don't know your gpa/scores, it's going to be hard to tell.

The international thing, I'm a little clueless on. At Cornell (top 20 school) that I went to there was a decent amount of international students. They went into 2 catagories, either extremely rich or extremely smart for the most part.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:19 PM

a problem here is that "good school" is highly relative (although I don't think anyone can really justify SDSU as having a good reputation [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]).

I'm sure you must have test scores and some idea of how your grades translate into US standards. find a big range of schools that reasonably matches, pick out the ones match your other criteria, and fire off a bunch of apps.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:22 PM

there is a pretty big gap between some of the schools capone listed. UCI and Cal Tech on the same list?

OP, I think the advice you'll get here is going to be very subjective and may just confuse you more.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:24 PM

Well, Cal-Tech, Stanford and maybe Cal are much harder to get into then the rest. I won't deny that. Also Emory is definitely harder to get into then most of the other Southern Schools.

To most people the USNEWS thing isn't awful but I wouldn't use it as a bible. Also you don't have to goto the same undergrad and grad program. At alot of schools that is actually looked down upon.