Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-14-2007, 05:05 PM

Default 2007-08 North Carolina Tar Heels Basketball (San Antonio Here We Come)

The Tar Heels open their season as the consensus #1 team tonight against Davidson. The game is being played at Bobcat Arena in Charlotte. UNC comes off a 31-7 campaign in '06-'07 where the Heels won the ACC tournament for the first time since 1998. There were many positives last season but it all got lost in the crushing Elite Eight loss to Georgetown - a game in which UNC self-destructed and inexplicably coughed up their ticket to Atlanta and another Final Four. Roy Williams is looking for his 6th career Final Four in what will be his 20th year as an NCAA coach.

The team revolves around All-American Tyler Hansbrough, a complete beast of a player. There is a good chance "Psycho T" will set the career UNC records for FTs made and FTs attempted this year (which is his junior year). Hansbrough headlines a monster frontcourt that includes sophmores Alex Stepheson and Deon Thompson. Thompson has shed many pounds this off-season and is the team's pick as most improved coming out of the summer. At the small forward position Carolina plugs in their best defensive player - junior Marcus Ginyard. Ginyard has also become the vocal leader of the team when that position needed to be filled towards the end of last year's ACC schedule. Also playing the 3 will be versatile Danny Green, one of the most talented players wearing a North Carolina jersey this season. Green can fill it up from the outside and also has the ability to lead the team in blocks some games. He is a fun player to watch and the team will need his 3 point stroke to be on this year.

When you think of North Carolina the talk of quality point guards is usually in the mix. Players like Phil Ford, Jeff McInnis, Raymond Felton, Derrick Phelps, "Easy" Ed Cota, etc., etc. This list goes on and on. This season is no different as UNC wheels out the fastest PG in the nation Ty Lawson. Word out of Chapel Hill is that the 5'11" sophomore had the highest winning % during the famous summer pick up games in the Dean Dome. Carolina is 3 deep at PG as lone senior Quentin Thomas "QT" will be backing up Lawson. Bobby Frasor, who started all 31 games at PG as a freshman, is also in the mix. The shooting guard spot belongs to sophomore Wayne Ellington. The 6'4" Pennsylvania native has a lot of pressure on him this season. If Ellington shoots the 3 at a 40%+ clip, UNC can book their ticket to San Antonio. If Ellington (and others like Green, Frasor, Lawson, Graves) struggles the Heels will find themselves in a similar situation as last years G'town game. Ellington had a 3 point shot at the buzzer to beat the Hoyas but missed it. Here is what he had to say after the game, "That just pushes me harder to want to make the next one and to work harder to get more prepared to make the next one."

In the final analysis, the talent, coaching and passion is in place for UNC to hoist another championship banner. The journey starts tonight and Heels fans have already circled April 7th, 2008 on their calendars in anticipation of another coronation.

Brag: I'll be in Las Vegas over Thanksgiving to watch the Heels take on Old Dominion and (if they beat ODU) the winner for the B.Y.U. / Louisville game. It could be two top 5 teams facing off later this month!
Old 11-14-2007, 05:24 PM

Default Re: 2007-08 North Carolina Tar Heels Basketball (San Antonio Here We Come)

I'll hope to go as well. I'm not an alum but a huge fan (I want to get an MBA there in a couple of years). I could have gone to St. Louis a couple of years ago but I chickened out and I live in Memphis, just a 4 hour drive. I will be going if they go this time. Maybe Memphis will make it as well (not a huge fan of theres but I've been to more of their games).
Old 11-14-2007, 05:41 PM

Default Re: 2007-08 North Carolina Tar Heels Basketball (San Antonio Here We C

Can't wait for tonight. Should be a great season. I agree that Ellington is the key this year. We really need someone to step up and be the person that is confident that every 3 is going in. The last two title teams both had that in Donald Williams and McCants.

I also look for a monster year from Stepheson. He showed some great moments last year.

Have you heard anything about Frasor's foot from last year? If he is back to form he will be a great steady backup to Lawson.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:24 PM

I love our chances this year.

[ QUOTE ]
Carolina is 3 deep at PG as lone senior Quentin Thomas "QT" will be backing up Lawson.

[/ QUOTE ]

For god sakes though I hope Roy will keep "QT" off the floor as much as possible. He is a turnover machine with terrible court vision and a absolutely horrible shooting touch. I have cringed every time he has entered the game for the last 3 years.

Keep Frasor in that backup role please please please.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:25 PM

i am so psyched
Old 11-14-2007, 06:33 PM

All my other teams are terrible this year. For the love of god, don't suck UNC.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:50 PM

DukeSucks - Frasor is over the foot injury.

Ruffneck - Stats for last season:

Lawson: 2.6 A/TO
QT: 2.2 A/TO
Frasor: 2.2 A/TO

QT took 16 shots (2 of those were 3s) in 27 games played last season. His shooting sux but he never shoots so it is a non-issue (in the sense that he doesn't take many shots, but obv you want a PG that the defense has to honor at least a little bit).
Old 11-14-2007, 08:27 PM

Guess not wtf.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:59 PM

Well, it turned out to be a solid first 20 minutes. If you asked me if UNC would be leading at half w/ Lawson at 3 fouls and 0 pts I would have laughed. But with Psycho T at 12 pts and 11 boards (and he drew about 10 fouls on Davidson), that is the difference maker. My favorite player, Frasor, has a good stroke and 5 pts.

32% of Davidson's 34 shots have been 3s. 19% of UNC's 26 shots have been 3s.

UNC's D looked awful early but then we exposed and broke down Davidson over the final 10 minutes or so.

UNC was favored in the game by 11 pts.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Guess not wtf.

[/ QUOTE ]

capone -
what r u referring to here?