Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 12:17 AM

Default 100NL AA Donk bet then minraise then...

At the time I only had 20 hands on SB 20/15 and UTG+1 running 20/10/1.8 over 100ish hands. I just have no idea what a donk bet followed by a m/r means. It seems to be shove or fold here. SB is quite short so its really only UTG+1 that worries me.

Full Tilt Poker, $0.50/$1 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 7 Players
Hand History Converter

SB: $22.35
BB: $17.20
UTG: $66
UTG+1: $90.45
Hero (MP): $105.90
CO: $36.10
BTN: $94

Pre-Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (MP)
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $1, <font color="red">Hero raises to $5</font>, 2 folds, SB calls $4.50, BB folds, UTG+1 calls $4

Flop: ($16) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets $8</font>, <font color="red">UTG+1 raises to $16</font> Hero....
Old 11-08-2007, 12:38 AM

Default Re: 100NL AA Donk bet then minraise then...

I've been trying to decide what I would do here for about 5 minutes and am still stumped.

Folding sucks b/c UTG could easily be trying to isolate short stacked SB with a little feeler min raise

Calling flop sucks b/c of superwet board and you will hate half of the possible turn cards

Raising sucks b/c you are committing yourself to the hand and 77, 88, 9T are all in UTG+1s range
Old 11-08-2007, 12:43 AM

First look--Seems to me he is trying to cheaply isolate SB given stack sizes.

GT summarized the problems well.

The good news is that SB doesn't have enough to reopen the betting if you decide to call the mini-raise. I probably peel and use position, but the pot will be so big....
Old 11-08-2007, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems to be shove or fold here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I would normally fold in this situation and it could be a total leak in my play. But the min raise is usually either very weak or very strong. I would think that if UTG+1 held a set that he would just call (hoping for your reraise?)...Or he knows that if you hold an OP that you will still most likely call, if not raise. Whereas if you held AK, it wouldn't matter either way.
Final Decision:Fold, he is too unknown imo.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:41 AM

The fact that the action will end if I call here is good, but assuming an AI from the SB, I have about 80 dollars left and the pot is around 65-70. There are so many awful turn cards that I can't see calling here as being profitable. I feel like the decision needs to be made on the flop.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:59 AM

I normally raise big, but it's probably a good time to fold. You only have 5 bucks invested. A raise commits you as you said.

Then again, he could just have a draw. A big raise or shove isn't horrible either. Tough hand.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:08 AM

you cant just call, i think its raise or fold and i would fold... as said, you only have $5 invested, a raise commits you, there are so many horrible turn cards, and the players are unknown. This isn't a great spot to hold a pair only
Old 11-08-2007, 11:30 AM

Just calling is fine IMO. It creates a dry sidepot with SB (assuming he calls, which he has to with half his stack in the middle) so UTG+1 has to play honest on the turn. If the dry sidepot is created and UTG+1 commits on scary turn, we can be reasonably sure we're beat.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the dry sidepot is created and UTG+1 commits on scary turn, we can be reasonably sure we're beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my issue with calling, almost half the deck is a scary turn. If i had Ad at least I have redraw outs and I'd feel a little more comfortable but there are too many turns that I can't continue the hand with. Granted it would probably be rare for an opponent to use a scare card to push me out of a dry sidepot
Old 11-08-2007, 01:52 PM

Many of those cards will be equally scary for our opponent too.

Tough spot